So, the Kanye West-Kim Kardashian media machine continues to pump out news and controversy.
And knowing this—that it is a well-oiled media engine designed to provoke attention and mass reaction—it bothers me that I’m forced to take the bait and talk about the controversial couple when I probably should be talking about something a bit more substantial.
But with Kanye’s latest musical release, “My Perfect B- – – -” (and no, I’m not going to spell out the actual title for you), and Kardashian’s reported flattery over the project which Kanye originally said was written for her, I feel compelled to speak out on this nonsense.
The unpredictable Kanye has made a career off of talent, music and controversy, and the more predictable Kardashian has made a career off of… off of… …???
Anyway, the two are certainly no strangers to controversy and to benefitting from the controversies they often initiate.
A recent article in The Root by Danielle Moodie-Mills talked about the attention-seeking couple raising the question: “Is misogyny–or woman hating– the new "I love you?”
The piece referred to the Rihanna and Chris Brown saga; the associated stream of tweets from young girls saying they would have "let Chris beat" them; reality shows like "The Bachelor", where women degrade themselves and each other competing for one man; and the song Kanye wrote for Kardashian, as being examples of a changing “social consciousness on a national scale” where it’s now “acceptable for love to hurt…”
Is this really where we are? Is it now en vogue to teach our daughters that their goal in life is to become the “perfect b….?”
The article goes on to wonder if we can ever reclaim the “type of love where your partner's sweet whispers don't rhyme with the word "itch," and making a sex tape isn't synonymous with sending a Hallmark card.”
I'm not gonna even begin to suggest what the name of that holiday would be.
The point is no matter how much media in general has tried to mainstream the process of degrading women, and no matter how many misled women have sadly bought into this, we have to keep challenging those who call us out of our names and those who profit from it.
Because if we get tired and stop doing this, our silence becomes acceptance. Instead of further feeding these media engines that profit from our reactions, let’s stop buying and supporting the artists and companies engaged in this female-hatin’ behavior.
No one can make us hate ourselves unless we buy into the process. No one can make us into the “Perfect B” if we refuse to see ourselves that way. Text us here at 64-64-64 to let me know how you feel.
Let’s insist on a higher standard for ourselves.
I leave you with the dignified –and dignifying–words of Maya Angelou:
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say, it's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Until next time, this is Stephanie in love and hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25