Two years ago, as I was working on a feature about club members doling out winter clothes and other goods to poor and homeless people, one woman appointed herself as the guardian of the giveaway.
She pointed out one guy who chose a coat, and whispered that he probably was going to sell it. She leveled a similar accusation at another taker. And when one of the women in the club gave a package of disposable diapers to another fellow, she pulled her to the side and said: “I know him, and he ain’t got no baby!”
To which the annoyed club member replied, “Well, did you ever think that maybe he knows someone who does?”
Now it could be that this woman seriously thought she was being helpful. But I didn’t get that.
What I got was that her tattling was her way of establishing some sense of moral superiority over all the poor, mostly black people who lined up to get donated items; to show that as toothless and tattered as she was, she still wasn’t one of “them.”
And she typifies the kind of white voter that GOP presidential contender Mitt Romney is currently trying to score points with by conjuring images about lazy black people looking for handouts and lying about President Obama weakening welfare eligibility rules.
He’s hoping that a lot of them are like the woman at the giveaway; poor, white people who cling to sanctimony to distinguish themselves from poor black people in the same way that they once used Jim Crow to feel superior to all black people.
And that’s a shame.
Romney, in a desperate bid to move the polls in his direction, has apparently decided to dust off the old, racial resentment playbook written by Lee Atwater, who managed George H.W. Bush’s 1988 campaign. Atwater, who died in 1991, came up with the infamous Willie Horton ad – a black convicted murderer who raped a woman and robbed her fiancé while out on furlough – to scare people into not voting for the Democratic contender, Massachusetts Gov. Michael Dukakis.
Dukakis, however, didn’t support furloughs for murderers. Yet Romney’s welfare ads reek of the same distortions.
For example, in one ad Romney says that “Under Obama’s plan (for welfare) you wouldn’t have to work and wouldn’t have to train for a job. They just send you a welfare check.”
That’s a lie.
Says Politifact.com, the Tampa Bay Times Pulitzer-Prize winning fact checking website: “That’s a drastic distortion of the planned changes to Temporary Assistance to Needy Families. By granting waivers to states, the Obama administration is seeking to make welfare-to-work efforts more successful, not end them."
What’s more, the waivers would apply to individually evaluated pilot programs — HHS is not proposing a blanket, national change to welfare law…In fact, it says the new policy is “designed to improve employment outcomes for needy families."
The ad’s claim is not accurate, and it inflames old resentments about able-bodied adults sitting around collecting public assistance.
Yet that’s exactly what Romney is trying to do– or else he wouldn’t be bringing up welfare at all. I mean, why even go there?
He’s going there because he’s hoping that the white, working class voters he’s trying to reach will respond to pettiness and stereotypes instead of facts. Romney’s hoping that they’ll believe that a black president is giving stuff to undeserving black people.
He’s hoping to fire up voters who have the mentality of the woman at the coat giveaway; white people who get their nerves all in a knot over someone getting a used coat or some diapers, or people who buy steaks with food stamps, yet they don’t raise an eyebrow over rules that allow wealthy farmers to collect billions in taxpayer subsidies each year.
It’s a shame that Romney believed he had to stoop to this. But it’s even more shameful that some people will actually buy his welfare distortions.
Especially if the truth won’t make them feel as superior as the lies.
Tonyaa Weathersbee is an award-winning columnist based in Jacksonville, Fla. Follow her at tonyaajw@twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30