Technology and the Internet has turned a lot of stay-at-home moms into work–from-home moms who’ve made money and established brands by blogging about their shared experiences. Some of these moms do have day jobs, but others have made blogging their full-time gig, jetting around on trips sponsored by mom-friendly companies like McDonald’s and Disney and earning money from partnerships and advertising. But not everyone with an Internet connection is a great blogger. There are some mommy bloggers who stand out from the rest with their point of view, their mix of news, gossip, information, advice and discount offers and the overall quality of their blogs or websites. Here’s our pick for the best mommy blogs in cyberspace.
Kimberly Sears Allers is one of the best known and most ambitious of the mommy bloggers. Her first book, “The Mocha Manual To A Fabulous Pregnancy” spawned a series that includes “The Mocha Manual to Turning Your Passion into Profit—How to Find & Grow Your Side Hustle in Any Economy” and “ The Mocha Manual to Military Life—A Savvy Guide for Wives, Girlfriends and Female Service Members.”
The divorced mother of two mostly focuses on parenting on her well-organized site Mochamanual.com but she’s also branched out into travel and more, partnering with organizations like Visit Orlando to encourage more black travelers to the city. She is also a well-known advocate of breastfeeding, especially for women of color.
We’d really like to figure out how Denene Millner does it. The married mother has not only just finished her 20th book, the novelization of “Sparkle,” she’s also the mom behind Mybrownbaby.com. (And one of those 20 books was that little known relationship guide “Act Like a Lady, Think Like A Man,” with Steve Harvey.) The wife/mother/author/blogger started her career as a journalist in New York City, which is she met fellow journalist Nick Chiles. The couple is raising two daughters together, as well as Chiles’ son from a previous marriage. Millner’s no-nonsense voice takes on issues from health, hair, nutrition, popular culture and fatherhood, as Chiles is a regular contributor.
Mybrownbaby.com is under the umbrella of the mommy blogs, but Millner pretty much takes on everything but with a slant toward parenting while black.
Though not specifically a “mommy blog” married Atlanta couple Lamar and Ronnie Tyler share their experiences parenting four children on their blog Blackandmarriedwithkids.com. Created to promote positive images of a black nuclear family, the blog has evolved since it was created six years ago to support an editorial staff that includes 10 contributors. Their blog is primarily about family-oriented issues that also includes relationship advice. Recent posts cover how relationships are impacted by natural hair, back-to-school shopping and even adoption.
Jennifer James, mother of two is the founder of Mommytoomag.com, one of the first black parenting blogs. She started it because back then, before the advent of Facebook and Twitter, black mothers had few outlets to connect online. She’s been featured in “Essence,” "American Baby” and “Black Enterprise.” Her blog is a mix of product discounts, parenting tips and travel both with and without children. She also posts links to a host of other African-American bloggers, including a selection of fellow black mom bloggers.
YOUNG MOMMY LIFE
When Tara Pringle Jefferson found herself pregnant at age 20, she decided to turn her life story into a career sharing the ups and downs of life as a young mother. Now married with two children, the Midwest resident has created a valuable resource for other young mothers. Recent posts question where there are too many teen mom shows on TV, preparing for an upcoming school year and advice for a young mother who wants to complete school. Although her site is not specific to just African-American moms, Jefferson’s supportive tone and community can be helpful to any younger mother.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30