So, all of this hoopla over the hairdo of 16 year-old Olympic gymnastics champion Gabby Douglas this past week was pretty pathetic.
All this hoopla about Gabby’s hair instead of her incredible and historic gymnastic accomplishments on the world stage…pathetic.
That said, there were some interesting threads (no pun intended) that came out of “Hair-Gate 2012” like how some black folks took it as an opportunity for a more productive discussion on the impact our hairdos have on our health.
In particular, sports reporter Jason Whitlock and former Olympic gymnast Dominique Dawes talked about how some black women’s obsession with hair plays a significant role in making us unhealthy and obese.
Dawes, who went natural last year, spoke to how many sisters forego healthy routines like exercise and swimming over concerns of ‘messin’ up our hair…’ especially after paying to get it lookin’ right… (I can just hear the Amen chorus from the sisters right about now.)
In fact, there were a couple of surveys done, one by Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in N.C., reporting that a third of African-American women studied admitted they exercise less because of the potential harm to their hairstyles.
Let me put this another way. 33 percent of the women asked said they are more concerned about the harm that could come to their hairdo from working out than they are about the harm that can come to their health from not working out.
So we may die from a stroke or complications from diabetes but, man, our ‘do is sure gonna look tight at the wake. Folks are gonna be talkin’ about it for days after we’re six feet under, calling our survivors to ask who our stylist was.
Hopefully, you get the point. We have to recognize the difference between vanity and insanity and not keeping ourselves healthy because of a hairstyle is, yes, insane.
Not to mention that when you exercise, you look and feel better.
And it’s not just about us. We have families who love us, depend on us, and want us here living a functional, productive and healthy life.
So no matter how you style your hair, commit yourself to staying healthy. For those looking for tips on maintaining a healthy lifestyle and hairstyle, Harvard University actually produced a pamphlet called "Hair Care Tips for Sisters on the Move."
You can get it at my Facebook page.
I’ll leave you with this from blogger and running coach, Monisha Randolph: “Some of us are sitting up right now with our hair done but suffering from high blood pressure, borderline diabetes, obesity, and a lack of energy. I don’t know Gabby Douglas personally. However, I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that she considers her health and fitness level to be a little more important than her hair staying in place.”
Until next time, this is Stephanie in love and hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31