So, all of this hoopla over the hairdo of 16 year-old Olympic gymnastics champion Gabby Douglas this past week was pretty pathetic.
All this hoopla about Gabby’s hair instead of her incredible and historic gymnastic accomplishments on the world stage…pathetic.
That said, there were some interesting threads (no pun intended) that came out of “Hair-Gate 2012” like how some black folks took it as an opportunity for a more productive discussion on the impact our hairdos have on our health.
In particular, sports reporter Jason Whitlock and former Olympic gymnast Dominique Dawes talked about how some black women’s obsession with hair plays a significant role in making us unhealthy and obese.
Dawes, who went natural last year, spoke to how many sisters forego healthy routines like exercise and swimming over concerns of ‘messin’ up our hair…’ especially after paying to get it lookin’ right… (I can just hear the Amen chorus from the sisters right about now.)
In fact, there were a couple of surveys done, one by Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in N.C., reporting that a third of African-American women studied admitted they exercise less because of the potential harm to their hairstyles.
Let me put this another way. 33 percent of the women asked said they are more concerned about the harm that could come to their hairdo from working out than they are about the harm that can come to their health from not working out.
So we may die from a stroke or complications from diabetes but, man, our ‘do is sure gonna look tight at the wake. Folks are gonna be talkin’ about it for days after we’re six feet under, calling our survivors to ask who our stylist was.
Hopefully, you get the point. We have to recognize the difference between vanity and insanity and not keeping ourselves healthy because of a hairstyle is, yes, insane.
Not to mention that when you exercise, you look and feel better.
And it’s not just about us. We have families who love us, depend on us, and want us here living a functional, productive and healthy life.
So no matter how you style your hair, commit yourself to staying healthy. For those looking for tips on maintaining a healthy lifestyle and hairstyle, Harvard University actually produced a pamphlet called "Hair Care Tips for Sisters on the Move."
You can get it at my Facebook page.
I’ll leave you with this from blogger and running coach, Monisha Randolph: “Some of us are sitting up right now with our hair done but suffering from high blood pressure, borderline diabetes, obesity, and a lack of energy. I don’t know Gabby Douglas personally. However, I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that she considers her health and fitness level to be a little more important than her hair staying in place.”
Until next time, this is Stephanie in love and hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30