Tamela Mann has a powerful testimony. She and her husband, David, who starred with her on the Tyler Perry sitcom “Meet the Browns” came from impoverished childhoods in Texas to triumph in the entertainment industry. The couple, who has now been married for 24 years and have four children are now spokespersons for the American Diabetes Association. They are hoping to influence other African-Americans to be healthier and to that end, they are planning to host a cooking show for Bounce TV that will focus on tasty and healthy food.
But while Tamela is experiencing a great deal of success in other areas, music has always been her first love. She is releasing her fifth CD “Best Days” next week. The lead single is “Take Me To The King,” written for Mann by her one of her musical mentors, Kirk Franklin.
Listen to “Take Me To the King” below.
“I want to present music that people can be blessed by and that can be healing,” Mann says in her official bio. “We have to put music out to keep people encouraged and keep lifting the body of Christ up, and even the ones that haven’t become Christians. We need to encourage them that the best thing that they could ever do is become a child of God.”
It was music that launched Mann’s career. She grew up singing in the church and after hearing her, Franklin recruited Tamela to be in his group, The Family, which would propel him to gospel superstardom. Tamela sang on all five of Kirk Franklin and the Family’s recordings.
From there, she attracted the notice of Tyler Perry, who put her in his plays, movies, and then on “Meet the Browns,” a show that she fortunate to have been able to star in with her husband. Tamela is also in the reboot of the beloved 1976 movie “Sparkle” coming out next Friday. She plays Whitney Houston’s character’s best friend. During an appearance on the Yolanda Adams Morning Show, Tamela said working with the legend was “really a wonderful, wonderful experience.”
Mann credits all of her success – in life, family and entertainment – to her strong faith. She says that while she is blessed, she is also humble because she realizes everyone has a unique purpose.
“I’m the youngest of fourteen, and out of all my mom’s kids, I’m the only one that finished high school,” Mann told ClaytonPerry.com in 2010. “We’re not even talking college. It’s just high school. And for God to choose me among all these people growing up and give me such a divine purpose in life, it’s just amazing. I feel like this other friend of mine is more talented than I am. But God saw fit to just use me for such a time as this, to reach so many people, because we’re reaching them differently. Earlier, you said that when people think of ministry, they think of pastors. But we’re all ministers, because we all have a purpose. We have a calling to do things.”
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell