Tamela Mann has a powerful testimony. She and her husband, David, who starred with her on the Tyler Perry sitcom “Meet the Browns” came from impoverished childhoods in Texas to triumph in the entertainment industry. The couple, who has now been married for 24 years and have four children are now spokespersons for the American Diabetes Association. They are hoping to influence other African-Americans to be healthier and to that end, they are planning to host a cooking show for Bounce TV that will focus on tasty and healthy food.
But while Tamela is experiencing a great deal of success in other areas, music has always been her first love. She is releasing her fifth CD “Best Days” next week. The lead single is “Take Me To The King,” written for Mann by her one of her musical mentors, Kirk Franklin.
Listen to “Take Me To the King” below.
“I want to present music that people can be blessed by and that can be healing,” Mann says in her official bio. “We have to put music out to keep people encouraged and keep lifting the body of Christ up, and even the ones that haven’t become Christians. We need to encourage them that the best thing that they could ever do is become a child of God.”
It was music that launched Mann’s career. She grew up singing in the church and after hearing her, Franklin recruited Tamela to be in his group, The Family, which would propel him to gospel superstardom. Tamela sang on all five of Kirk Franklin and the Family’s recordings.
From there, she attracted the notice of Tyler Perry, who put her in his plays, movies, and then on “Meet the Browns,” a show that she fortunate to have been able to star in with her husband. Tamela is also in the reboot of the beloved 1976 movie “Sparkle” coming out next Friday. She plays Whitney Houston’s character’s best friend. During an appearance on the Yolanda Adams Morning Show, Tamela said working with the legend was “really a wonderful, wonderful experience.”
Mann credits all of her success – in life, family and entertainment – to her strong faith. She says that while she is blessed, she is also humble because she realizes everyone has a unique purpose.
“I’m the youngest of fourteen, and out of all my mom’s kids, I’m the only one that finished high school,” Mann told ClaytonPerry.com in 2010. “We’re not even talking college. It’s just high school. And for God to choose me among all these people growing up and give me such a divine purpose in life, it’s just amazing. I feel like this other friend of mine is more talented than I am. But God saw fit to just use me for such a time as this, to reach so many people, because we’re reaching them differently. Earlier, you said that when people think of ministry, they think of pastors. But we’re all ministers, because we all have a purpose. We have a calling to do things.”
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂