If you’re impatient with President Obama’s handling of the economy and think it’s time to give someone else a shot at fixing this mess, Mitt Romney isn’t necessarily your man.
It’s not because Romney doesn’t have a plan. The problem is his plan, by Romney’s own admission, will take at least four more years to turn things around – despite his pledge in Colorado this week to create 12 million new jobs in his first year in office.
The nation faced serious financial problems after 12 years of Republicanomics – eight with Ronald Reagan and four under George H.W. Bush. Eight years of Bill Clinton pulled the nation out of debt and into boom times. Then, eight years of George W. Bush’s brand of economics pulled the country into a recession so deep that the nation was this close to a Depression.
Yet voters expected Obama to totally clean up the mess less than four years into his term, contentious dealings with Congress – even among some in his own Democratic Party – aside.
A recent poll showed that Americans are giving presumptive GOP presidential nominee Romney a slight edge over Obama on the handling of the economy.
It’s understandable. Even though the economy is doing better in several areas, unemployment is still way too high, more than 8 percent overall and in double digits for black Americans. The temptation is strong to toss the president and give Romney a shot at figuring it out.
Romney’s plan, however, is offering little new, largely pushing the same economic plan that Congressional Republicans have proposed.
He is offering to cut taxes on workers and businesses, but fails to say how he would replace that revenue.
He also wants to cut federal spending by $500 billion across the board by 2016, but that is, according to Romney’s website, “assuming robust economic recovery with 4 percent annual growth, and reversal of irresponsible Obama-era defense cuts.”
So he’s going to cut everything but defense spending, which he will increase, while cutting taxes and not replacing any lost revenue.
Hmmm, where have we seen that plan before; can anyone say George W. Bush, 2000-2008?
But if you think waiting until 2016 is a stretch, you ain’t seen nothing yet.
“What I describe in my plan is a series of changes to programs and elimination of programs which save more and more money over time, so we’re able to get America to a balanced budget in eight to 10 years —not in the first year—but eight to 10 years,” Romney told The Wall Street Journal.
“You’re going to see the growth in the economy pick up at 4 percent or better and you’re going to get America, within four years, to about a 6 percent unemployment rate. And after that I see it getting better and better.”
A 6 percent unemployment rate still will likely translate to at least a 12 percent unemployment rate for black Americans, considering that black unemployment pretty much runs about double the overall jobless rate.
Obama’s plan may be moving slowly, but there are some signs of movement. If Romney wins and tosses it all out the window and starts again, will you be willing to wait anywhere from four to 10 years to see improvement using a Republican legislative agenda that has already been tried?
We’re just saying.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31