Investigators in Jonesboro, Arkansas say they are awaiting the results of an autopsy and toxicology reports to help determine what happened in a police cruiser where a young black man whose hands were cuffed behind his back was shot in the head.
An incident report obtained by BlackAmericaWeb.com lists the cause of 21-year-old Chavis Chacobie Carter’s death as suicide. Police who were on the scene Saturday night said Carter fired a gun and struck his right temple.
But the young man’s mother and father have said their son was not suicidal.
Jonesboro Police Chief Michael Yates said they still are trying to figure out how it happened.
“It is bizarre,” Yates told BlackAmericaWeb.com. “After we get the reports, we’ll be able to recreate the setting to determine how it happened or eliminate some theories.”
Meanwhile, the two officers involved in Carter’s arrest, both white, have been placed on administrative leave while the case is investigated, Yates said.
Initially police were called to a residential neighborhood around 11:15 p.m. on a report of a suspicious vehicle, according to the police report. Carter and two teens were in a Chevrolet pickup on West Washington Avenue.
Officers checked out the identification on all three, and initially Carter’s information and vehicle registration didn’t check out, Yates said.
Officers patted him down twice at one police car. Soon marijuana was discovered in the truck and police learned that Carter was wanted on warrants out of Mississippi, Yates said.
“He was handcuffed and placed in another police car. Some time passed before officers say they heard a thud,” the chief said, and that is when they discovered a wounded and bloody Carter in the back seat.
Carter was taken to a local hospital where medical staff worked on him a while before he was pronounced dead, Yates said.
The incident was recorded on a dash camera and that, along with statements from witnesses, will be used to try to piece together the sequence of events.
Carter’s family and friends say they don’t believe the account given by police.
"I don't believe this was an accident. I know my son. He's not suicidal. He wouldn't have taken his own life," his father, Charles Douglas, told ABC24. "Under the circumstances they say this happened, it's impossible."
The story of Carter’s death has spread this week on social media, including Twitter and Facebook.
A page launched Wednesday on Facebook labeled Justice for Chavis (ASAP) Carter, had almost 900 likes within about 24 hours.
And on Twitter the tweets have been almost constant, with most sharing the sentiments of someone Chris Johnson who tweeted around 8 p.m. CST: “The official version of this story is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard in a long time.”
The Arkansas NAACP has received several calls from people who are concerned about the case. State President Dale Charles told BlackAmericaWeb.com the organization will release an official statement on Friday.
The chief said he hopes to have the case sorted out soon, but is limited to the information he can publicly release.
“Given the ongoing nature of the investigation we are unable to release further information at this time but hope to release more details soon,” Yates said. “We have been conferring with the crime lab, medical examiner’s office, coroner and FBI agents regarding the case.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30