Investigators in Jonesboro, Arkansas say they are awaiting the results of an autopsy and toxicology reports to help determine what happened in a police cruiser where a young black man whose hands were cuffed behind his back was shot in the head.
An incident report obtained by BlackAmericaWeb.com lists the cause of 21-year-old Chavis Chacobie Carter’s death as suicide. Police who were on the scene Saturday night said Carter fired a gun and struck his right temple.
But the young man’s mother and father have said their son was not suicidal.
Jonesboro Police Chief Michael Yates said they still are trying to figure out how it happened.
“It is bizarre,” Yates told BlackAmericaWeb.com. “After we get the reports, we’ll be able to recreate the setting to determine how it happened or eliminate some theories.”
Meanwhile, the two officers involved in Carter’s arrest, both white, have been placed on administrative leave while the case is investigated, Yates said.
Initially police were called to a residential neighborhood around 11:15 p.m. on a report of a suspicious vehicle, according to the police report. Carter and two teens were in a Chevrolet pickup on West Washington Avenue.
Officers checked out the identification on all three, and initially Carter’s information and vehicle registration didn’t check out, Yates said.
Officers patted him down twice at one police car. Soon marijuana was discovered in the truck and police learned that Carter was wanted on warrants out of Mississippi, Yates said.
“He was handcuffed and placed in another police car. Some time passed before officers say they heard a thud,” the chief said, and that is when they discovered a wounded and bloody Carter in the back seat.
Carter was taken to a local hospital where medical staff worked on him a while before he was pronounced dead, Yates said.
The incident was recorded on a dash camera and that, along with statements from witnesses, will be used to try to piece together the sequence of events.
Carter’s family and friends say they don’t believe the account given by police.
"I don't believe this was an accident. I know my son. He's not suicidal. He wouldn't have taken his own life," his father, Charles Douglas, told ABC24. "Under the circumstances they say this happened, it's impossible."
The story of Carter’s death has spread this week on social media, including Twitter and Facebook.
A page launched Wednesday on Facebook labeled Justice for Chavis (ASAP) Carter, had almost 900 likes within about 24 hours.
And on Twitter the tweets have been almost constant, with most sharing the sentiments of someone Chris Johnson who tweeted around 8 p.m. CST: “The official version of this story is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard in a long time.”
The Arkansas NAACP has received several calls from people who are concerned about the case. State President Dale Charles told BlackAmericaWeb.com the organization will release an official statement on Friday.
The chief said he hopes to have the case sorted out soon, but is limited to the information he can publicly release.
“Given the ongoing nature of the investigation we are unable to release further information at this time but hope to release more details soon,” Yates said. “We have been conferring with the crime lab, medical examiner’s office, coroner and FBI agents regarding the case.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31