Lawyers for ex-Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick are trying to keep information about the ex-mayor’s past from the upcoming trial.
The lawyers for Kwame Kilpatrick and his three co-defendants have asked a federal judge to prohibit scandalous text messages, information about his troubled past and college grades from being presented to jurors.
The ex-mayor specifically asked U.S. District Judge Nancy Edmunds to keep away any information that indicates he has been imprisoned or disciplined in the past. He also requested that his transcripts from college and law school are excluded from the trial by asking the judge to rule that both are unrelated evidence.
Edmunds made the decision to appoint an anonymous jury to the case due to its intense public interest. However, Kilpatrick’s three co-defendants Bernard Kilpatrick, contractor Bobby Ferguson and ex-water boss Victor Mercado are opposed to keeping the jurors identities a secret.
Ferguson has expressed some concerns about text messages and other statements that may be read during the public trial. He believes that many of statements are damaging and irrelevant. One message in particular references a Book Cadillac Project in which Ferguson and Kilpatrick discussed making money off of the proposed plan.
Another message that Ferguson’s lawyer Gerald Evelyn asked to remain outside the trial includes a references to a 35 percent demand share that Ferguson requested from an unnamed company.
Evelyn believes the court is intentionally selecting the most incriminating messages on purpose out of the over 600,000 message batch.
"To cherry-pick 25 quotes, ascribe a meaning to them, out of a list of 628,000?" Evelyn said. "It's unfair. It's selective. And it's not the place for it."
Ferguson is accused of manipulating his access at the mayor’s office to pull in million-dollar contracts.
Mercado’s lawyers requested that he has a separate trial to avoid a conviction by association.
"The jury will see evidence that the codefendants received bribes, gifts, sham donations, misappropriated donations and private jet flights worth over a million dollars, just to name a few sources of illicit income," Mercado's lawyer Marty Crandall wrote in a recent filing. "Mercado, on the other hand, received absolutely nothing beyond his salary."
Court records indicate that Mercado believes he was extorted by the ex-mayor. He is threatening to release information about Kilpatrick that has remained untold, which may make him a secondary prosecutor in Kilpatrick’s case.
All four men are accused of organizing a criminal enterprise through the mayor’s office. They face charges of bribery, extortion, and fraud. Each of the men claims that they are not guilty.
The trial is scheduled to begin on September 14 and is expected to last up to four months.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31