Lawyers for ex-Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick are trying to keep information about the ex-mayor’s past from the upcoming trial.
The lawyers for Kwame Kilpatrick and his three co-defendants have asked a federal judge to prohibit scandalous text messages, information about his troubled past and college grades from being presented to jurors.
The ex-mayor specifically asked U.S. District Judge Nancy Edmunds to keep away any information that indicates he has been imprisoned or disciplined in the past. He also requested that his transcripts from college and law school are excluded from the trial by asking the judge to rule that both are unrelated evidence.
Edmunds made the decision to appoint an anonymous jury to the case due to its intense public interest. However, Kilpatrick’s three co-defendants Bernard Kilpatrick, contractor Bobby Ferguson and ex-water boss Victor Mercado are opposed to keeping the jurors identities a secret.
Ferguson has expressed some concerns about text messages and other statements that may be read during the public trial. He believes that many of statements are damaging and irrelevant. One message in particular references a Book Cadillac Project in which Ferguson and Kilpatrick discussed making money off of the proposed plan.
Another message that Ferguson’s lawyer Gerald Evelyn asked to remain outside the trial includes a references to a 35 percent demand share that Ferguson requested from an unnamed company.
Evelyn believes the court is intentionally selecting the most incriminating messages on purpose out of the over 600,000 message batch.
"To cherry-pick 25 quotes, ascribe a meaning to them, out of a list of 628,000?" Evelyn said. "It's unfair. It's selective. And it's not the place for it."
Ferguson is accused of manipulating his access at the mayor’s office to pull in million-dollar contracts.
Mercado’s lawyers requested that he has a separate trial to avoid a conviction by association.
"The jury will see evidence that the codefendants received bribes, gifts, sham donations, misappropriated donations and private jet flights worth over a million dollars, just to name a few sources of illicit income," Mercado's lawyer Marty Crandall wrote in a recent filing. "Mercado, on the other hand, received absolutely nothing beyond his salary."
Court records indicate that Mercado believes he was extorted by the ex-mayor. He is threatening to release information about Kilpatrick that has remained untold, which may make him a secondary prosecutor in Kilpatrick’s case.
All four men are accused of organizing a criminal enterprise through the mayor’s office. They face charges of bribery, extortion, and fraud. Each of the men claims that they are not guilty.
The trial is scheduled to begin on September 14 and is expected to last up to four months.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25