Rev. William Owens is a long-standing, die-hard Republican who has been supporting the GOP and its racially-divisive policies for years.
Now it’s out here. Now we know.
Owens, leader of the conservative Coalition of African American pastors, created a firestorm last week when he called President Barack Obama a “Judas” for supporting gay marriage and suggested that Obama’s re-election bid is now in jeopardy because black voters will abandon the president.
“He has not done a smart thing and it might cost him the election,” Owens told reporters last week. "Mr. President, I'm not going to stand with you, and we have thousands of others across this country that are not going to stand with you in this foolishness."
“And for the homosexual community and for the President to bow to the money, as Judas did with Jesus Christ, is a disgrace and we are ashamed,” Owens said. “We will not take it back. We will not back down. We are going to take action across this country to change the course that this President has us in.”
Here’s the problem: Owens tried to hide his Republican affiliation. He’s a so-called Christian leader who lied by omission. When asked by a reporter if he was a Republican, Owens sidestepped the question saying the issue wasn’t about either party, it’s about family values.
But now we learn that Owens has been a staunch supporter of the Republican Party who has worked aggressively in Tennessee to recruit African-Americans to the GOP.
“We have to work on it,’ Owens said in 2006, according to the Nashville Tennessean.
Here are a few of Owens’ more high-profile Republican offerings:
In 2006, Owens attended a George W. Bush Event and praised Bush's speech at the Grand Ole Opry House.
He once proclaimed that “Blacks Are More Conservative Than White People Pray To Be,” and dismissed any political party affiliation. “‘I'm not interested in the right wing or the left wing. I'm not interested in political parties. I'm interested in what we can do to bring people together on the things we agree on.”
In 2006, Owens endorsed Republican Ken Blackwell for Governor Of Ohio.
He addressed a Republican women’s event in Memphis six year ago.
In 2008, Owens endorsed Mike Huckabee for President on Martin Luther King Day. “He has actually done what he talks about when it comes to the African-American community, rather than just pandering,” Owens told the Associated Press.
But last week during an appearance on CNN, Owens was asked if he supported Mitt Romney, Obama’s Republican opponent for the White House.
“No, I don't,” Owens said. “We do not get in politics, we don't support any party.”
So Owens wants black Americans to believe that his criticism of Obama, some 90 days before the presidential election has nothing to do with politics?
I’m reminded of the old adage: “I was born at night – but not last night.”
Owens insists that many black Americans won't vote for Obama in November, which is absolutely ludicrous. Obama won 95 percent of the black vote in 2008 and support for America’s first black president remains high among African-Americans.
Owens is blowing smoke. Most major polls suggest that African-Americans are concerned about jobs, paying their bills, keeping their homes out of foreclosure, putting their kids through college, and being able to afford quality health care.
“I would place the odds of African-Americans defecting the president as about the same as the odds of an asteroid hitting the Earth and wiping out all human life,” David Bositis at the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, told The New York Times. “It’s not going to happen.”
Bositis is right. And Owens knows it, too.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31