Rev. William Owens is a long-standing, die-hard Republican who has been supporting the GOP and its racially-divisive policies for years.
Now it’s out here. Now we know.
Owens, leader of the conservative Coalition of African American pastors, created a firestorm last week when he called President Barack Obama a “Judas” for supporting gay marriage and suggested that Obama’s re-election bid is now in jeopardy because black voters will abandon the president.
“He has not done a smart thing and it might cost him the election,” Owens told reporters last week. "Mr. President, I'm not going to stand with you, and we have thousands of others across this country that are not going to stand with you in this foolishness."
“And for the homosexual community and for the President to bow to the money, as Judas did with Jesus Christ, is a disgrace and we are ashamed,” Owens said. “We will not take it back. We will not back down. We are going to take action across this country to change the course that this President has us in.”
Here’s the problem: Owens tried to hide his Republican affiliation. He’s a so-called Christian leader who lied by omission. When asked by a reporter if he was a Republican, Owens sidestepped the question saying the issue wasn’t about either party, it’s about family values.
But now we learn that Owens has been a staunch supporter of the Republican Party who has worked aggressively in Tennessee to recruit African-Americans to the GOP.
“We have to work on it,’ Owens said in 2006, according to the Nashville Tennessean.
Here are a few of Owens’ more high-profile Republican offerings:
In 2006, Owens attended a George W. Bush Event and praised Bush's speech at the Grand Ole Opry House.
He once proclaimed that “Blacks Are More Conservative Than White People Pray To Be,” and dismissed any political party affiliation. “‘I'm not interested in the right wing or the left wing. I'm not interested in political parties. I'm interested in what we can do to bring people together on the things we agree on.”
In 2006, Owens endorsed Republican Ken Blackwell for Governor Of Ohio.
He addressed a Republican women’s event in Memphis six year ago.
In 2008, Owens endorsed Mike Huckabee for President on Martin Luther King Day. “He has actually done what he talks about when it comes to the African-American community, rather than just pandering,” Owens told the Associated Press.
But last week during an appearance on CNN, Owens was asked if he supported Mitt Romney, Obama’s Republican opponent for the White House.
“No, I don't,” Owens said. “We do not get in politics, we don't support any party.”
So Owens wants black Americans to believe that his criticism of Obama, some 90 days before the presidential election has nothing to do with politics?
I’m reminded of the old adage: “I was born at night – but not last night.”
Owens insists that many black Americans won't vote for Obama in November, which is absolutely ludicrous. Obama won 95 percent of the black vote in 2008 and support for America’s first black president remains high among African-Americans.
Owens is blowing smoke. Most major polls suggest that African-Americans are concerned about jobs, paying their bills, keeping their homes out of foreclosure, putting their kids through college, and being able to afford quality health care.
“I would place the odds of African-Americans defecting the president as about the same as the odds of an asteroid hitting the Earth and wiping out all human life,” David Bositis at the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, told The New York Times. “It’s not going to happen.”
Bositis is right. And Owens knows it, too.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30