Dear Tom and Family,
I have a cousin, Shantelle Wells who epitomizes what Maya Angelou describes as a "Phenomenal Woman". She is a mother of two children Alan, 11 and Bri O'nna 17. She was a teenage mother and moved out of her parents’ home by age 18. She has always been independent, worked the jobs to support her family and in 2001 after giving birth to her youngest decided to go back to school. As many young people do she went to community college directly after graduating high school. She was not ready and ended up leaving without withdrawing from any of her classes. So, when she re-enrolled some years later she found that she had F's in all of her previous classes that needed to be retaken.
Shantelle took on this daunting task, she was working full-time, raising two kids as a single-mom with little to no outside help, she was also experiencing personal turmoil in her relationship and going to school full-time. She got through community college and decided to keep pushing toward a college degree. It took a while, but she received her Bachelor's in Criminal Justice in 2007. She then decided to pursue her Master’s Degree and will be graduating with her Master’s Degree in Counseling Psychology this May.
Tom, it has taken her eleven years on this journey; she has worked hard and has never given up even though she has faced many life-challenges along the way. She has never asked for anything; she is the woman who opens her home to cook for family, she is the woman who always has kids at her home. Her interest is working with the kids that everyone else has given up on or forgotten (even the tough- teenagers Tom) she loves them and believes in them and the kids respond to the respect and non-judging demeanor she has.
This last semester is stressing her greatly and the weight of what she is carrying seems to be even heavier right now. I would love for her to have a few days of peace, no stress, just a time to enjoy her children and the time to reflect on what she has been able to accomplish before she starts studying for her licensing test and taking on the new stress of finding a job in her field.
If there is anything you can do Tom to make my hope for her a reality it would be greatly appreciated. She deserves it, I think it would help lift her up into a joy-filled space that she needs to be in. I know that when all is said and done it will be repaid by Shantelle in her passion for the kids she will impact on her new journey. She is as I said, a Phenomenal Woman-mother, daughter, student and cousin. Thank you for taking the time to read this; I appreciate your efforts in recognizing those who rarely get the "thank you" they deserve.
God bless you and the entire Tom Joyner crew,
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31