In commemoration of Child Support Awareness Month, there are important facts and information to know when giving or receiving child support. This appropriated amount of money is used to provide food, shelter, clothing, and overall care for a child. In many cases child support can also include medical coverage and payment for a child’s extracurricular needs such as tutoring, sports, lessons, and vacations.
Child support often lies at the center of the drama experienced by many estranged parents. In an effort to prevent fights and arguments and correct misinformation, here are ten essential things you should know about child support.
1. Even though men are the most common providers of child support, women make up 15 percent of people who pay child support.
2. The average child support payment in the United States is $430 a month.
3. Nearly 30 percent of custodial parents don’t receive one cent of the appropriated amount of child support even when it is court-ordered.
4. There is no national guideline on how to determine an adequate amount of child support. Each state evaluates its own calculations.
5. Child support is tax-free income for the parent receiving it. However, it is not tax-deductible for the parent paying it.
6. Child support and visitation rights are exclusive of each other. They are two different legal matters. If one parent is prohibited from seeing a child, it does not allow them to legally stop paying child support.
7. Bankruptcy does not eliminate the requirement to pay child support no matter how far in debt the child support provider may be in. A judge cannot remove due or overdue child support payments.
8. Child support orders can be altered through a court order. Either parent can go back to the judge and request that the child support be increased, decreased, or eliminated.
9. If the child support provider is unemployed, they are still required to pay all court-ordered child support unless they’ve received a written, court-ordered modification that deems otherwise.
10. Parents who fail to pay child support can faces serious consequences such as wage garnishment, jail time, asset seizure, credit bureau reporting, driver’s license suspension, passport denial, and having your unemployment benefits withheld.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
29 photos Launch gallery
1. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
1 of 29
2. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
2 of 29
3. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
3 of 29
4. Jus haaaanngin out
4 of 29
5. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
5 of 29
6. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
6 of 29
7. new new
7 of 29
8. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
8 of 29
9. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
9 of 29
10. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
10 of 29
11 of 29
12. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
12 of 29
13. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
13 of 29
14. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
14 of 29
15. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
15 of 29
16. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
16 of 29
17. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
17 of 29
18. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
18 of 29
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 29
20 of 29
21. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
21 of 29
22. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
22 of 29
23. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
23 of 29
24. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
24 of 29
25. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
25 of 29
26. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
26 of 29
27. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
27 of 29
28. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
28 of 29
29. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
29 of 29