Needless to say, it’s been a pretty rough road for anyone African-American and famous named Jackson lately.
Not good at all. In fact, the two families that can easily be described as the First Families of our community in the second half of the 20th century are seriously going through it right now.
Cases in point: Our First Family of Politics in the latter half of the previous century—one engaging the political system for at least the past 30 years and still active today—is dealing with some very serious issues regarding the mental health and well-being of its elected son, Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr.
Our prayers and well-wishes go out to the Congressman and his family.
Our First Family of Entertainment in the latter half of the 20th century is not faring much better. The Jacksons are reeling from infighting, those looking to exploit them, and a lack of closure regarding the death of their most famous member, Michael.
Prayers to them as well. So, I mention this today to question what it says if the two families that have symbolized and represented our community on a global scale for years are racked with serious challenges.
On one level, it’s just a reminder that despite all of their prestige, fame and fortune, these are human beings going through it and trying to work it out just like the rest of us… just more publicly.
But on another level, maybe it does appropriately symbolize our challenges regarding the state of our community, our infighting, our poor health, our lack of well-being.
Maybe we need to look at the current misfortune of these First Families as a reminder to all of us that our community is made up of just that: families, and that our community will fall apart if we don’t put our families first.
For the family, regardless of how many members it may have, is still the base of our community. This is the case whether you are a famous family of influence or a single parent living in the projects.
And for most of us, family will love us unconditionally regardless of what we are going through. If Jesse Jackson Jr. is suffering, his family is suffering as well. Right now, what matters most is not his political support, but the support of his family.
If this type of support between family members is not there in a lasting way, then when hardship or tragedy strikes, you get the sad situation we are currently getting with our First Family of Entertainment, a family under attack from external and internal forces.
That said, I am well aware that family can be hard to deal with sometimes. I get that.
But it’s essential to have someone there who loves you and knows you when things go wrong, when stuff hits the fan, when dreams get deferred, and when there’s no place to turn.
So the message today is to keep your family first.
For it’s been said: “As the family goes, so goes the nation and so goes the world."
Until next time, this is Stephanie in love and hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30