Needless to say, it’s been a pretty rough road for anyone African-American and famous named Jackson lately.
Not good at all. In fact, the two families that can easily be described as the First Families of our community in the second half of the 20th century are seriously going through it right now.
Cases in point: Our First Family of Politics in the latter half of the previous century—one engaging the political system for at least the past 30 years and still active today—is dealing with some very serious issues regarding the mental health and well-being of its elected son, Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr.
Our prayers and well-wishes go out to the Congressman and his family.
Our First Family of Entertainment in the latter half of the 20th century is not faring much better. The Jacksons are reeling from infighting, those looking to exploit them, and a lack of closure regarding the death of their most famous member, Michael.
Prayers to them as well. So, I mention this today to question what it says if the two families that have symbolized and represented our community on a global scale for years are racked with serious challenges.
On one level, it’s just a reminder that despite all of their prestige, fame and fortune, these are human beings going through it and trying to work it out just like the rest of us… just more publicly.
But on another level, maybe it does appropriately symbolize our challenges regarding the state of our community, our infighting, our poor health, our lack of well-being.
Maybe we need to look at the current misfortune of these First Families as a reminder to all of us that our community is made up of just that: families, and that our community will fall apart if we don’t put our families first.
For the family, regardless of how many members it may have, is still the base of our community. This is the case whether you are a famous family of influence or a single parent living in the projects.
And for most of us, family will love us unconditionally regardless of what we are going through. If Jesse Jackson Jr. is suffering, his family is suffering as well. Right now, what matters most is not his political support, but the support of his family.
If this type of support between family members is not there in a lasting way, then when hardship or tragedy strikes, you get the sad situation we are currently getting with our First Family of Entertainment, a family under attack from external and internal forces.
That said, I am well aware that family can be hard to deal with sometimes. I get that.
But it’s essential to have someone there who loves you and knows you when things go wrong, when stuff hits the fan, when dreams get deferred, and when there’s no place to turn.
So the message today is to keep your family first.
For it’s been said: “As the family goes, so goes the nation and so goes the world."
Until next time, this is Stephanie in love and hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31