Patricia Jones describes her late brother John Butts as a humble man who loved Christ and was eager to share his testimony.
John Butts was killed on July 22 by three white teens while he walked along Highway 310 in Como, Mississippi. FBI investigators suspect that John was racial targeted by the teens who allegedly robbed a church prior to killing him.
John’s family said that he was an avid walker and was determined to stay healthy by exercising.
“He was walking for health. He’s been doing it for years, “said Jones.
Several years ago, John was involved in a train accident in which his injuries helped doctors discover that he had colon cancer.
Jones told BlackAmericaWeb.com that her brother’s story made a positive impact in the lives of others.
“It didn’t matter who it was. He did not mind sharing his story, you know what God has done for him,” Jones said. “He was always willing to help.”
Matthew Whitten Darby, 17, has been charged with John’s murder after the other teen passengers allegedly turned him in.
Jones explained that since her brother’s death, there has been a void in her life.
“It seems like I’ve lost something and I just can’t find it. It seems unreal,” Jones said. “My brother played a big part in my life. He just took care of us and I wish we could have taken care of him.”
Jones said that when her family entered her brother’s home shortly after the incident they found that he had his clothes prepared to go to church. He was expected to teach Sunday school that particular day.
“He had some black slacks and a shirt laying out to come back and get dressed to go to church. And he never made it,” Jones said.
The family said that they were always concerned about his safety while walking.
“He said that he always made sure it was daylight so they can see me and I can see them. Families that live around the area said he always walks and if you came by and blowed your horn ‘Hey John,’ he did not take his eyes off of what he was doing. He would just throw his hand up and wave at you but he would pay attention to make sure he was not in the road,” Jones reflected.
As the investigation continues, the family said that they just want justice.
“We just want justice served for him. It’s not going to bring him back no matter what we do or how we do it. I can’t save my brother. I can’t save my nephew’s dad but maybe I can save somebody else’s brother or somebody else’s dad,” Jones expressed.
“I want this to go around the world. I want them to know that here it is 2012 and stuff like this still could happen,” Jones said.
Jones and her family are asking for prayers for their family as well as the family of the suspects involved.
“I know his family has to be feeling some kind of sorrow or something in their heart. I know we all need prayer,” Jones said. “I’m just asking the whole nation as a whole to pray for our family because we need prayer. That’s the only way we are going to make it.”
Jones said that she still struggles night after night with the big hole left in her life.
“It’s going to take some getting used to and it’s just very, very hard,” Jones said.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30