A new survey found that many young people do not consider themselves as adults just yet.
The survey conducted by Clark University in Worcester, Massachusetts recruited over a thousand people ages 18-29 regarding this life stage. About 60 percent of the respondents admitted that adulthood would be more exciting than their current lifestyle.
Study responses were collected from an online questionnaire as well as phone interviews. Fifty-six percent of the respondents said that they often feel anxious, 33 percent admitted that they often feel depressed, and 65 percent of those surveyed said that this phase of their life is filled with uncertainty. However, 82 percent still hold an optimistic view about their future.
Jeffrey Jensen Arnett, a research professor in psychology at Clark University has coined this life phase as “emerging adulthood.” He explains that this particular age group starts with Gen X’ers, those born in the 1960’s through the 1980’s, and has permeated into the Millennials.
Arnett feels that delayed social stages such as marriage, parenthood, and careers have contributed to this age group.
The survey also found that:
– 52 percent of emerging adults maintain daily or almost daily contact with their parents via text, e-mail, phone or in person.
-34 percent of young adults said that their parents are engaged in their lives more than they would like them to.
-38 percent of emerging adults said that they receive little to no financial support from their family; 16 percent admitted that they receive it often; another 16 percent receive financial support regularly, and 31 percent rarely receive it.
Thirty percent of the young participants related complete adulthood as total financial independence from their parents.
"I'm about to be 24. I should feel like an adult, but I don't," said Alana Prant, 23. "My parents completely support me." Prant is a recent graduate from the University of Texas at Austin and is currently an unpaid intern for a Chicago startup company.
Completing a degree program has also become less of a priority for many emerging adults. The survey found that only 19 percent of respondents considered finishing school an essential life marker.
"Finishing school has become like a given. It barely felt like an accomplishment," Prant said.
Many young people believe that you don’t have to have a degree to get a job. According to the survey findings, 66 percent of respondents believe that it is possible to land a good job without a college education.
"I know many people who did not go to college and are doing just fine," said Liz Marz, 27, a New York makeup stylist and a graduate of the University of Indiana at Bloomington.
The study also showed that 36 percent said that the most important factor of being an adult is accepting responsibility for yourself.
Brandon Smith, a 20-year-old junior at Texas A&M University at College Station said his parents helped him learn this valuable trait by allowing him to make his own decisions.
"They're right over your shoulder watching to make sure you don't ruin yourself but not jumping in every five seconds like when you were younger," Smith said.
This national study is not the first time this new life stage has been the topic of discussion. The Society for the study of Emerging Adulthood is fully dedicated to researching this new age group.
"Now that this has emerged, it will not go away," said Jennifer Tanner of Rutgers University and the society’s vice chair. "It reached peak mass."
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30