A new survey found that many young people do not consider themselves as adults just yet.
The survey conducted by Clark University in Worcester, Massachusetts recruited over a thousand people ages 18-29 regarding this life stage. About 60 percent of the respondents admitted that adulthood would be more exciting than their current lifestyle.
Study responses were collected from an online questionnaire as well as phone interviews. Fifty-six percent of the respondents said that they often feel anxious, 33 percent admitted that they often feel depressed, and 65 percent of those surveyed said that this phase of their life is filled with uncertainty. However, 82 percent still hold an optimistic view about their future.
Jeffrey Jensen Arnett, a research professor in psychology at Clark University has coined this life phase as “emerging adulthood.” He explains that this particular age group starts with Gen X’ers, those born in the 1960’s through the 1980’s, and has permeated into the Millennials.
Arnett feels that delayed social stages such as marriage, parenthood, and careers have contributed to this age group.
The survey also found that:
– 52 percent of emerging adults maintain daily or almost daily contact with their parents via text, e-mail, phone or in person.
-34 percent of young adults said that their parents are engaged in their lives more than they would like them to.
-38 percent of emerging adults said that they receive little to no financial support from their family; 16 percent admitted that they receive it often; another 16 percent receive financial support regularly, and 31 percent rarely receive it.
Thirty percent of the young participants related complete adulthood as total financial independence from their parents.
"I'm about to be 24. I should feel like an adult, but I don't," said Alana Prant, 23. "My parents completely support me." Prant is a recent graduate from the University of Texas at Austin and is currently an unpaid intern for a Chicago startup company.
Completing a degree program has also become less of a priority for many emerging adults. The survey found that only 19 percent of respondents considered finishing school an essential life marker.
"Finishing school has become like a given. It barely felt like an accomplishment," Prant said.
Many young people believe that you don’t have to have a degree to get a job. According to the survey findings, 66 percent of respondents believe that it is possible to land a good job without a college education.
"I know many people who did not go to college and are doing just fine," said Liz Marz, 27, a New York makeup stylist and a graduate of the University of Indiana at Bloomington.
The study also showed that 36 percent said that the most important factor of being an adult is accepting responsibility for yourself.
Brandon Smith, a 20-year-old junior at Texas A&M University at College Station said his parents helped him learn this valuable trait by allowing him to make his own decisions.
"They're right over your shoulder watching to make sure you don't ruin yourself but not jumping in every five seconds like when you were younger," Smith said.
This national study is not the first time this new life stage has been the topic of discussion. The Society for the study of Emerging Adulthood is fully dedicated to researching this new age group.
"Now that this has emerged, it will not go away," said Jennifer Tanner of Rutgers University and the society’s vice chair. "It reached peak mass."
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25