Tuesday is the deadline for applications for band director at Florida A&M University, and university officials have a good idea of the kind of person they are looking for, following months of controversy related to the death of drum major Robert Champion following hazing.
“We want an individual with outstanding experience in band management, the proven ability to educate and inspire students to excel in the classroom and in the traditions of FAMU’s renowned performance style, and the capacity to lead and mentor faculty and staff,” interim FAMU president Dr. Larry Robinson said via email in response to questions from BlackAmericaweb.com.
“We desire someone with unrelenting commitment to our core values, particularly those related to anti-hazing. The ideal candidate would have the ability to promote the values of respect and dignity among all members of the Marching 100,” Robinson said.
Dr. Julian White, a FAMU alumnus who led the famed Marching 100 band program since 1998, retired in May after being on paid administrative leave since the November death of Robert Champion Jr. National, state and university leaders have called into question management of the band program that has been steeped in a culture of hazing for years.
Champion was one of six drum majors and was set to become head drum major in the next marching season. He died following a ritual called “Crossing the C Bus,” investigators say.
In the wake of the tragedy, criminal charges have been levied against 13 former FAMU band members, White has retired and President James Ammons was forced out earlier this month.
Champion’s family has filed a lawsuit against the university and against the owners of the bus on which the hazing is said to have occurred.
Chris Chestnut, lawyer for the Champion family, has said the drum major’s death could have been avoided if the university had not ignored the culture of hazing that infested the band and other campus organizations.
In addition to hiring a new person as director of marching and pep bands, the university is also seeking to hire to senior level administrators to help eradicate hazing. Those two individuals – an executive assistant for anti-hazing and a coordinator of programs for anti-hazing – will work through the president’s office, according to job descriptions on the FAMU website.
Applications for those positions are being accepted through Aug. 20.
The first position for which applications are being accepted is the director’s job.
That person must have an excellent academic reputation and the ability to manage a premier university marching band, absent of hazing.
“The greatest challenge will be to find the best fit for Florida A&M University,” Robinson said. “The director of Marching and Pep Bands will ensure that staff and members of the Marching and Pep Bands are made aware of and comply with the University's policies and procedures regarding anti-hazing, academic requirements, rehearsal hours and travel. The director must also be able to continue positive traditions that have made the band a national treasure.”
The Marching 100 will not take to the field this year. Ammons, the former president, announced suspension of the band earlier this year. When the marching band does return, it still will be known as The Marching 100, Robinson said.
Rodner Wright, dean of the FAMU School of Architecture, will serve as chairman of the search committee for the band director’s position. The search committee will include 13 members, which will consist of faculty, staff, students and alumni.
FAMU is not looking to hire assistant band directors at this time, Robinson said. Currently, there are professors in the Department of Music who serve as assistant band directors.
Many of the band students who continue as students at the university in Tallahassee were recruited with scholarships and other incentives, such as out-of-state tuition waivers.
When asked whether those incentives would remain for the students, Robinson said: “The Department of Music will provide scholarships to those individuals that meet the eligibility requirements.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30