Former ABC News Weekend anchor Carole Simpson has had a wide range of obstacles and victories throughout her illustrious career, many of which she recounted in her memoir “NewsLady.”
But Simpson felt compelled to update the book after hearing that many young black journalists are running into many of the same racist and sexists incidents she faced in her four decade-long career in broadcast journalism.
One of the more devastating revelations, previously unpublished, was that white men were not always the source of her problems. She faced animosity, sexism and racism from women and black colleagues as well.
“There are some controversial aspects to this new version,” Simpson said in a news release announcing the updated memoir. “I talk about the ‘dirty little secret’ in black America. We are prejudiced against each other.”
Simpson was the first black woman to work in NBC’s Washington bureau and was an Emmy-winning correspondent for ABC News. She covered a wide range of topics from natural disasters, foreign affairs and political reporting, including presidential nominating conventions and covering candidates, as well as anchoring the weekend newscasts. In 1992, she was the first black journalist to moderate a presidential debate.
Right up to the end of her daily broadcasting career, Simpson wrote, she had to fend off racist and sexist remarks. But she continued to encourage aspiring young black journalists, funding several scholarships with the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) and the Radio Television Digital News Association (RTNDA).
Her honors include induction into the NABJ Hall of Fame, a lifetime achievement award from the New York Association of Black Journalists and the Leonard Zeidenberg First Amendment Award in recognition of Simpson’s work to protect First Amendment freedoms.
In 2006, Simpson retired from ABC News and joined the School of Communications at Emerson College in Boston as a Leader-in-Residence, where she is a full-time journalism faculty member and writing coach. Simpson also maintains a blog and website, called Think About It at www.carolesimpson.com.
The re-release of NewsLady expands on the behind-the-scenes look at Simpson’s life. In addition to painting a portrait of the race and gender difficulties she faced while building her career, she also reflects on the rise and fall of the late Max Robinson, the first African-American to anchor a major nightly newscast, and an ABC colleague.
“This really may be one of the few things written about Max Robinson since his death,” of AIDS at age 49, Simpson said in the news release.
“I recount events in this book that show how many tried and how many succeeded in doing me harm,” Simpson said. “But before, during and after my television career, I was able to overcome and prospered. I was blessed.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30