BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) — "Good Morning America" anchor Robin Roberts is planning to take a medical leave around the end of August for her bone marrow transplant.
But during her absence from the ABC morning show, she'll be getting a little help from her friends, she said Thursday.
Roberts listed Barbara Walters, Diane Sawyer and Katie Couric among her "wonderful, wonderful friends at ABC News" who will be subbing for her. Others mentioned: talk-show host Kelly Ripa and panelists from the ABC talk show "The View."
Roberts announced last month that she has MDS, a blood and bone marrow disease once known as preleukemia.
On Thursday, she told reporters gathered for the Television Critics Association conference in Beverly Hills, Calif., that her leave would "most likely" start at the end of August or early September.
"It's fascinating-slash-scary how to prepare yourself for something like this," she said, appearing by satellite from ABC's studios in New York. And when asked how she's feeling, she replied, "I do go through moments of fatigue."
But citing the continuing resurgence of "Good Morning America" against its long-dominant NBC rival "Today," she brightened.
"The run that we've had has truly energized me," she said. "It's pretty good medicine, I gotta say, to be taking!"
In particular, ABC was crowing Thursday that, for the first time in 17 years, "GMA" had seized first place among total viewers (almost 4.6 million vs. 4.25 million for "Today") as well as tying "Today" for first place in the 25- to 54-year-old demographic, each with 1.74 million.
ABC News President Ben Sherwood was inspired to frame the victory in Olympic terms.
"For 852 straight (weekly) races, the 'Today' show won the gold medal, going back to 1995," he said. Then, several weeks ago, "GMA" snapped the "Today" winning streak, "and stood there alone for the first time in 16 years to get its own gold medal."
"And after 879 weeks running behind in younger viewers, 25-to-54," Sherwood went on, "GMA" is "standing there at the gold-medal podium, unbelievably in an actual statistical tie with the previous champs."
Meanwhile, Sherwood acknowledged a mistake ABC News made last week during coverage of the movie theater shooting in Aurora, Colo., that killed 12 people and injured dozens more.
ABC News Chief Investigative Correspondent Brian Ross speculated on the air about the political ties of the alleged gunman, James Holmes, erroneously identifying him as a member of the tea party.
"It was a mistake," Sherwood said. "We recognized it immediately. We owned it immediately. We corrected it immediately. We apologized for it."
Declaring, "That particular moment didn't live up to the standards and practices of ABC News," he said, "I take responsibility for it. The news division knows how displeased I am about it. And we will do everything we can to prevent it ever happening again."
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31