Yesterday, we lost a great entertainer: Sherman Hemsley. Although he went on to play other successful TV roles, his most famous and beloved is that of George Jefferson of the hit sitcom, “The Jeffersons,” alongside the late great TV veteran, Isabel Sanford.
It’s not such a big deal now to turn on the TV and see a black man portrayed as a wealthy businessman, but back in the ‘70s, a character like George Jefferson was an anomaly.
With “The Jeffersons,” a spin-off of “All in the Family,” where George and Louise Jefferson were the working-class neighbors of the bigoted Archie Bunker, producer Norman Lear churned yet another hit out of his sit-com factory.The opposite of “Good Times,” “The Jeffersons” told the rarely-relayed story of a black family business that afforded its owners the chance to move out of the old neighborhood, not just to a nice home in the suburbs, but to a DE-luxe apartment in the sky!
It’s funny; I was just having a conversation with a co-worker after the show yesterday about what I didn’t like about the message today’s rappers send to young people when they brag about owning private jets, Lamborghinis and yachts. I’m all for working hard and being on the come-up (You know that), but I’d like to see these paid hip-hop stars brag more about things that are more attainable for the average kid with a dream.
“The Jeffersons,” along with being hilarious, gave poor and middle-class African-Americans a chance to see Black people living a lifestyle that most had never witnessed unless they were employed in the service industry. For some, it was the first time they could see themselves not as maids or as doormen, but as actual occupants of a big-city high rise. The best part of all, George Jefferson wasn’t embarrassed of his wealth and success; he earned it and owned it. His proud strut is an indelible memory in the minds of anyone who ever tuned in, along with his trademark George-isms, like “Honnnnky,” “zebra couples” and his personal nickname for his TV wife, Weezie.
When I give the charge at HBCU commencement ceremonies, I often urge students to upgrade their current environments, even if it means moving out of the ‘hood. I think it’s okay to physically leave a situation but still value it, support it and love it. If your barber, your beautician, your favorite restaurant and only dry cleaner you trust is in the community where you grew up, there’s nothing wrong with driving across town to handle your business. That’s sort of the lesson George Jefferson taught a lot of folks. George never forgot where he came from and never was ashamed of letting others know either.
Some of the critics thought he was too over-the-top, too cartoonish, even “coonish.” I never let other people tell me what I should or shouldn’t be offended by. “The Jeffersons” was a comedy and a fictionalized look at a black family — we get that. But I can’t help but think there are a lot of successful black people out there who were made to believe they could work hard, work together as a family and have a better life because of George and Weezie.
If you’re one of them, I’d like to hear from you.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31