BORN: Brandon Williams in Ft. Lauderdale, FL
BIG BREAK: He was signed by producer Scott Storch and signed to SoBe Entertainment, where he is still signed.
EDUCATION: Church. Williams’ father was a minister and like a lot of African-American recording artists, he developed his interest in music that way.
BACK STORY: After getting his start in church, Williams performed at every talent show, concert, pep rally and event in his native Florida where he could achieve some exposure. It ultimately paid off in a record deal in 2004.
RESUME: He’s worked with Kay Gee, The Roots, El DeBarge and Red Spyda.
FUN FACTS: Urban Mystic was a name Williams chose to reflect both his urban sensibility and the spirituality of his music. Urban Mystic was once a member of the loosely formed Spitkicker collective which included Kanye West, MF Doom, Jean Grae, Talib Kweli and others at various times.
LATEST WORK: “Love Interventions” which comes out on July 31. Until then, you can download his mixtape “Love and War” here.
"The name Urban Mystic came from the CEO of my record label, Cecil Barker. He gave me the name. The name pretty much describes me as a person. I'm very spiritual and grounded. A lot of people get it twisted. I have a band that I travel with and a lot of people think it's the band's name. A lot of people think it's a group. But it's just me: I'm Urban Mystic." About.com (2011)
“I first learned I wanted to do this seriously at the age of 13. My older brother took me in the studio and he put me on one of the tracks that he was working on. When I heard the track back; I always used to hear myself sing, from listening to myself, that was my first time hearing myself played back on tape, I was like 'wow', that's my voice on that tape. It sounded good, so it made me wanted to pursue this and make it a career. Ever since then I've been at it for real.” Singersroom.com (2006)
“I grew up singing in the church choir. You get the best training and singing in the Church. Sister Johnson sitting in the front pew won’t mind telling if you didn’t sound good. I learned a whole lot. When I’m on stage, I get in my zone do my thing.” Bellaonline.com (2005)
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!