James Holmes doesn’t look like he’s all there.
There’s the Crayola orange hair. The dazed look. The seeming inability to adapt his brilliance in the classroom to the world outside of it; a world of dating, friends and one with no clear rules.
Yet it’ll be awhile before anyone will really know whether it was craziness or calculated evil that led Holmes, a 24-year-old neuroscience PhD candidate, to spend months plotting the worst mass shooting in U.S. history at an Aurora, Colo., movie theater last week; one in which 12 people were killed and 58 were wounded.
It’ll be awhile before anyone will know what possessed Holmes to purchase more than 6,000 rounds of ammunition over the Internet, to buy a Glock, a pistol and an assault rifle, protective gear, a gas mask, gas canisters, grenades and other instruments and apparatus designed to foment death and destruction.
But know this.
Whatever demons that drove Holmes to commit mass murder were fed by opportunity. The opportunity was fed the gun lobby, which sees to it that in Colorado, there is no ban on assault weapons or high capacity clips, no gun registration, no gun licensing and no background checks for gun sales.
On top of that, Holmes’ Internet purchases raised no red flags.
Yet the opportunity for someone like Holmes to build an arsenal is also fed by something more sinister: the gun lobby’s ability to foment paranoia among ordinary Americans under the cover of the Second Amendment.
Because of that, guns have gone far beyond simply being instruments of protection or for hunting or sport. They’ve become fetishized as symbols of American freedom; as the thing that separates real Americans from fake ones.
In Texas, for example, gun licenses can be used as voter identification, but student identification cards cannot. I guess in the Lone Star state, real Americans go to the gun range instead of college.
On top of that, scores of people, upset over the election of President Obama and intent on not seeing the first black president as one of them, continue to purchase firearms in record numbers.
According to Bloomberg Businessweek, last year sales of firearms were projected to hit 15 million for the first time ever, and tactical rifles were mostly in demand. Gun shop owners have bragged that Obama’s election has been good for sales.
And many people who are arming up are doing so out of paranoia; they fear that Obama, if re-elected, will limit their right to buy guns.
That’s because in the minds of many of them, the president isn’t a real American, but a socialist-in-waiting.
Fear drives them more than American ideals. So they continue to conflate the unrestricted ability to acquire assault rifles and instruments geared to maiming and killing, to freedom.
So it would only follow that Holmes, and before him Jared Lee Loughner, who shot 18 people in Tuscon, Ariz., last year and killed six, would exploit those lax gun laws, laws undergirded by fear and misguided notions of freedom, to arm up.
Thing is they, not unlike the killers who have been leaving a trail of blood in Chicago lately, and in inner-cities everywhere, used that freedom to simply murder people. Making a stand for the Second Amendment, I’m sure, was the furthest thing from their minds.
Again, we don’t know whether it was meanness or insanity that drove Holmes to shoot up a theater full of people. What we do know, however, is that his ability to amass an arsenal was abetted by an atmosphere in which protecting anyone’s right to acquire one is seen as the American thing to do.
Until that changes, expect to keep reading about more James Holmeses. And to keep burying more people.
Tonyaa Weathersbee is an award-winning columnist based in Jacksonville, Fla. Follow her on Twitter at @tonyaajw.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30