Last year, you’ll recall, there was a big scandal involving Abercrombie & Fitch and their marketing of padded and push up bras and bikini tops to little girls as young as 7 years old.
Well, unfortunately, there’s another scandal involving sexualizing our children.
By now, many of us have either viewed or at least heard of the quote-unquote “Booty Pop” video that recently went viral where six-year-old Florida rapper, Albert Roundtree Jr., sings about how he can make women’s bottoms do just that…”Pop!”
The raunchy video is an online hit in spite of the fact that its child star is too young to watch it himself. YouTube has flagged it as inappropriate for its sexual references as its almost naked female participants pop their bottoms on both sides of Little Albert.
Amazing, as you all know, the ‘over-sexualization’ of children is a subject I take very seriously.
Children should be able to enjoy both their childhoods and their innocence without being preyed upon by aggressive marketers aimed at exploiting them, or even by greedy parents. According to a story in The Miami New Times, the director of the video claims Little Albert's parents paid for the video in the hopes that their son would become a famous rapper.
Let’s just stop and think about this for a second. Not only is it now okay in our society to publicly exploit six-year-old children on video for the world to see, but apparently, it’s also okay for the parents to be the source of such exploitation.
Answer this: What choice could a six-year-old possibly have in this process? He can’t tell the adults around him, “Well, I don’t think it is appropriate for me, at my tender age, to sing "Booty Pop" in a pool with a bunch of gyrating, half-dressed women for millions to see.”
This child is now being branded as the "Booty Pop Kid." How do you think that’s gonna look on a resume when he grows up?
And imagine the impact on his future of him being a one-hit viral wonder forever haunted by three minutes of this kind of childhood fame.
How many child stars have we seen go on to disturbing futures after not being able to deal with their rapid rise and brutal fall into oblivion?
Again, this young child did not have a choice. The adults around him are responsible for this nonsense and trust me, one day when Li’l Albert is all grown up, rap star or not, he’s going to hold them accountable for it.
But that’s just my opinion. Text us at 64-64-64 and let me know how you feel about it and if you think I’m on point or overreacting to this.
I’ll close with these words from Nelson Mandela:
“There can be no keener revelation of a society's soul than the way in which it treats its children.”
Until next time, this is Stephanie in love and hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30