Last year, you’ll recall, there was a big scandal involving Abercrombie & Fitch and their marketing of padded and push up bras and bikini tops to little girls as young as 7 years old.
Well, unfortunately, there’s another scandal involving sexualizing our children.
By now, many of us have either viewed or at least heard of the quote-unquote “Booty Pop” video that recently went viral where six-year-old Florida rapper, Albert Roundtree Jr., sings about how he can make women’s bottoms do just that…”Pop!”
The raunchy video is an online hit in spite of the fact that its child star is too young to watch it himself. YouTube has flagged it as inappropriate for its sexual references as its almost naked female participants pop their bottoms on both sides of Little Albert.
Amazing, as you all know, the ‘over-sexualization’ of children is a subject I take very seriously.
Children should be able to enjoy both their childhoods and their innocence without being preyed upon by aggressive marketers aimed at exploiting them, or even by greedy parents. According to a story in The Miami New Times, the director of the video claims Little Albert's parents paid for the video in the hopes that their son would become a famous rapper.
Let’s just stop and think about this for a second. Not only is it now okay in our society to publicly exploit six-year-old children on video for the world to see, but apparently, it’s also okay for the parents to be the source of such exploitation.
Answer this: What choice could a six-year-old possibly have in this process? He can’t tell the adults around him, “Well, I don’t think it is appropriate for me, at my tender age, to sing "Booty Pop" in a pool with a bunch of gyrating, half-dressed women for millions to see.”
This child is now being branded as the "Booty Pop Kid." How do you think that’s gonna look on a resume when he grows up?
And imagine the impact on his future of him being a one-hit viral wonder forever haunted by three minutes of this kind of childhood fame.
How many child stars have we seen go on to disturbing futures after not being able to deal with their rapid rise and brutal fall into oblivion?
Again, this young child did not have a choice. The adults around him are responsible for this nonsense and trust me, one day when Li’l Albert is all grown up, rap star or not, he’s going to hold them accountable for it.
But that’s just my opinion. Text us at 64-64-64 and let me know how you feel about it and if you think I’m on point or overreacting to this.
I’ll close with these words from Nelson Mandela:
“There can be no keener revelation of a society's soul than the way in which it treats its children.”
Until next time, this is Stephanie in love and hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31