Monday night President Obama was given a do-over.
He and First Lady Michelle Obama were watching the USA Basketball exhibition game when the Verizon Center's "Kiss Cam” focused on them.
The president put his arm around the first lady and the couple smiled, but no smooching. The crowd booed.
The second time the camera focused on the first couple, however, the president planted a big one on his wife’s lips, then kissed her on the forehead as she blushed.
The crowd roared its approval.
With polls currently showing Obama in a statistical dead heat with presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney, one wonders if the American public, generally, could be persuaded to give the president a do-over of sorts with a second term.
Certainly Morgan Freeman understands second chances in politics.
Earlier this month, Freeman told NPR’s Michel Martin, host of “Tell Me More,” that Obama wasn’t really the first black president, but the first “mixed-race” president.
The Oscar-winning actor was on Martin’s show to discuss his new movie, “The Magic of Belle Isle.” But the actor, also known for his work in numerous films, including, “The Shawshank Redemption,” “Million Dollar Baby” and “The Dark Knight,” also wanted to discuss politics and what he considered the inaccuracy of describing Obama as America's first black president.
"First thing that always pops into my head regarding our president is that all of the people who are setting up this barrier for him … they just conveniently forget that Barack had a mama, and she was white — very white American, Kansas, middle of America," Freeman said. "There was no argument about who he is or what he is. America's first black president hasn't arisen yet. He's not America's first black president — he's America's first mixed-race president."
Guess Freeman doesn’t buy into that old “one-drop” rule.
Those remarks went viral and prompted reactions from straight reporting of his remarks to an evaluation of whether Freeman’s views were right or wrong.
To be fair, Freeman was not critical of Obama. In fact, he took to task critics who have questioned the president’s effectiveness.
"He is being purposely, purposely thwarted by the Republican Party, who started out at the beginning of his tenure by saying, 'We are going to do whatever is necessary to make sure that he's only going to serve one term,' " Freeman said. "That means they will not cooperate with him on anything. So to say he's ineffective is a misappropriation of the facts."
And for those who still questioned whether Freeman supports the Obama, the actor put his money where his mouth is on Thursday, announcing he had contributed $1 million to Priorities USA Action, a “super” political action committee to help reelect President Barack Obama.
In a statement, Freeman said Obama has done a "remarkable job in historically difficult circumstances," including winding down the Iraq war, reforming Wall Street and protecting health care.
The actor joins several Hollywood high-rollers who have donated to the Super Pac, including director Steven Spielberg and producer Jeffrey Katzenberg.
Freeman simply questioned whether Obama should be called black, not whether he should get a second chance to meet his goals.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25