Monday night President Obama was given a do-over.
He and First Lady Michelle Obama were watching the USA Basketball exhibition game when the Verizon Center's "Kiss Cam” focused on them.
The president put his arm around the first lady and the couple smiled, but no smooching. The crowd booed.
The second time the camera focused on the first couple, however, the president planted a big one on his wife’s lips, then kissed her on the forehead as she blushed.
The crowd roared its approval.
With polls currently showing Obama in a statistical dead heat with presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney, one wonders if the American public, generally, could be persuaded to give the president a do-over of sorts with a second term.
Certainly Morgan Freeman understands second chances in politics.
Earlier this month, Freeman told NPR’s Michel Martin, host of “Tell Me More,” that Obama wasn’t really the first black president, but the first “mixed-race” president.
The Oscar-winning actor was on Martin’s show to discuss his new movie, “The Magic of Belle Isle.” But the actor, also known for his work in numerous films, including, “The Shawshank Redemption,” “Million Dollar Baby” and “The Dark Knight,” also wanted to discuss politics and what he considered the inaccuracy of describing Obama as America's first black president.
"First thing that always pops into my head regarding our president is that all of the people who are setting up this barrier for him … they just conveniently forget that Barack had a mama, and she was white — very white American, Kansas, middle of America," Freeman said. "There was no argument about who he is or what he is. America's first black president hasn't arisen yet. He's not America's first black president — he's America's first mixed-race president."
Guess Freeman doesn’t buy into that old “one-drop” rule.
Those remarks went viral and prompted reactions from straight reporting of his remarks to an evaluation of whether Freeman’s views were right or wrong.
To be fair, Freeman was not critical of Obama. In fact, he took to task critics who have questioned the president’s effectiveness.
"He is being purposely, purposely thwarted by the Republican Party, who started out at the beginning of his tenure by saying, 'We are going to do whatever is necessary to make sure that he's only going to serve one term,' " Freeman said. "That means they will not cooperate with him on anything. So to say he's ineffective is a misappropriation of the facts."
And for those who still questioned whether Freeman supports the Obama, the actor put his money where his mouth is on Thursday, announcing he had contributed $1 million to Priorities USA Action, a “super” political action committee to help reelect President Barack Obama.
In a statement, Freeman said Obama has done a "remarkable job in historically difficult circumstances," including winding down the Iraq war, reforming Wall Street and protecting health care.
The actor joins several Hollywood high-rollers who have donated to the Super Pac, including director Steven Spielberg and producer Jeffrey Katzenberg.
Freeman simply questioned whether Obama should be called black, not whether he should get a second chance to meet his goals.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30