Bill Bellamy heads to Atlanta this weekend but not without a few friends. The veteran comic is hosting the “Stand Up For Family” special in the city on July 21st, at the Center Stage Theater. Tony Rock, Gary Owen, Felipe Esparza and Dean Edwards are the show’s featured comics. It’s all part of the “Stand Up For Family” weekend which includes the comedy show on Saturday night and a pre-show reception on Friday night featuring a performance by Raheem DeVaughn.
Check out excerpts from the 2011 show here: http://www.amfam.com/standupforfamily/full.asp Bellamy’s hosting duties aside, he’s also releasing the DVD of his standup special “Crazy Sexy Dirty” this week. It aired on Showtime earlier in the summer. He talked about how he made some changes this time around.
“I’m just really excited about my new comedy special. Every couple of years I come up with a good one and this one is my best effort yet,” Bellamy told the Maddhouse on Power 98 in xx in May. “An hour of funny, it’s all about being crazy, talking about sexy issues, getting a little risqué on the other side. Most of my comedy has been pretty much clean. I wanted to get my grown man on and talk about some stuff I’ve never talked about before.”
The performers at the “Stand Up For Family” event will keep it clean, as the show focuses on comedy inspired by family. The married father of two may have shared his funnier single experiences in movies like “How To Be a Player” but these days experiences like “making it rain,” one of the sketches in his DVD, are behind him. Bellamy has two upcoming projects in the wings – “Mr. Box Office” a syndicated TV show with Vivica Fox and Rick Fox. In it, Bellamy plays a megastar forced to do community service in South Central after an altercation with the paparazzi. His second Showtime special, “Ladies Night Out” is set to air later this year. As for a much-rumored sequel to the cult favorite “Love Jones” Bellamy says he’s on board. But despite its challenges, standup comedy remains Bellamy’s first love.
"Comedy is hot again and people want to laugh," Bellamy told CNN.com. "Comedy has changed a great deal in some areas of what people are allowed to say, though it's gone backwards in terms of people's sensitivities. I've noticed that a lot of comics are having to apologize for being honest about a subject matter. Now everyone is so hypersensitive it's kind of scary."
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25