Florida Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll might be a woman, but she has much bigger "huevos" than I do.
Did Carroll really say late last week that she’s way too fine to be a lesbian?
Well, let’s not put words in the woman’s mouth. Let’s go to the news reports, shall we?
According to news reports, a woman named Carletha Cole is a former member of Carroll’s staff. She’s currently facing charges under a Florida law for allegedly tape recording a conversation between other Carroll staffers and giving the recording to a reporter.
Cole claims Carroll is out to get her because the former staffer walked in on the lieutenant governor having a sexual encounter with Beatriz Ramos.
Yeah, Beatriz is another woman.
According to news reports, here’s how Carroll responded to Cole’s accusation:
“The problem is that when you have these accusations that come out, it’s not just one person you’re attacking. It’s an entire family. My husband doesn’t want to hear that. He knows the type of woman I am. I mean, my kids know the type of woman I am. For 29 years – I’m the one that’s married for 29 years. The accuser’s the one that’s been single for a long time. So usually black women that look like me don’t engage in relationships like that.”
Did I misinterpret Carroll? Was she indeed saying, “I’m WAY too fine to be a lesbian”? Maybe it’s just me; I’ve never heard the “I’m way too fine to be a lesbian” defense before.
In a story about the Carroll-Cole-Ramos controversy that ran on the web site http://www.eurweb.com, there’s a photo of Carroll. I have to admit: Carroll IS fine. Not just your average fine, mind you. Some women are so fine that if they told a brother to go home and smack his mama, the poor sucker would do it.
In fact, the woman is smoking hot kind of fine. So smoking hot that I’d switch my political party affiliation to Republican, if Baltimore Democrats hadn’t embarrassed me into doing that years ago.
Absent further elaboration from Carroll, we can only speculate about what she meant. Having little to nothing else to go on, I have to assume Carroll was saying this:
“Look, I’m WAY too smoking hot to be a lesbian. Most lesbians are – well, how do I put this delicately? – kind of homely. OK, you dragged it out of me: most lesbians look like they’ve been whomped with an ugly stick the size of a redwood tree.”
If that IS what Carroll was saying, I can’t say that I agree. Even if I did, I wouldn’t have the "huevos" to ‘fess up to it.
Sharon J. Lettman-Hicks, the executive director and chief executive officer of the National Black Justice Coalition, was so upset by Carroll’s comments that she wrote a piece for the Huffington Post web site giving Florida’s lieutenant governor a piece of her mind.
“Carroll (insulted) every black woman who is a lesbian, bisexual and/or single,” Lettman-Hicks huffed on Huffington. In an attempt to bolster Cole’s credibility, Lettman-Hicks mentioned that Carroll’s accuser is “a grandmother and a minister, who took a lie detector test regarding the accusations and passed.”
I’ll not accuse Lettman-Hicks of insulting every black woman that’s not a grandmother and a minister, but I will advise her that there is no such machine as a “lie detector.”
It’s called a polygraph machine, and the thing’s “tests” aren’t pass/fail. A liar that really believes the lie he or she is telling can easily “pass” a polygraph test. That’s why the results of polygraph tests aren’t admissible in court.
But I digress. Lettman-Hicks’ point was that a lot of people, men, women, gays, lesbians, straight folks, will indeed find Carroll’s “black women that look like me” don’t engage in lesbian relationships comment infuriating. (Lettman-Hicks did, in fact, say she was furious. Carroll had better hope she doesn’t run across Lettman-Hicks’ path any time soon.)
If Carroll didn’t mean any insult to lesbians, then fine. But Florida’s lieutenant governor, much like Lucy Ricardo, sure has some ‘splaining to do.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30