The stigma surrounding HIV/AIDS keeps many people from getting tested, asking a partner about his status or insisting on safer sex practices.
To combat the fear, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has launched Let’s Stop HIV Together, a national campaign featuring people from all walks of life, including singer Jamar Rogers, who are HIV-positive and willing to share their personal stories and call on others to take charge of their health and prevent the spread of the disease.
“Stigma really is an insidious opponent in the fight against HIV,” Dr. Donna McCree, associate director of the Health Equity Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention for the CDC, told BlackAmericaWeb.com
“For people who are at risk, the stigma is more likely to make them not use condoms, make them not seek treatment and care,” McCree said.
Additionally, McCree said, advances in HIV/AIDS treatment has led to apathy among many people who believe that HIV/AIDS has largely been contained and is no longer the life threatening illness it once was.
“HIV is far from over,” McCree said, noting that there are 1.1 million Americans living with HIV, 50,000 new infections annually and that an estimated one out of five people who are infected don’t know because they have not been tested and diagnosed.
According to the federal Office of Minority Health, black Americans accounted for 46 percent of all HIV infections cases diagnosed in 2010. African-American men were 9.5 times more likely to die of AIDS than non-Hispanic white men. African-American women are particularly struck by this disease, and are almost 20 times more likely to die from HIV/AIDS, as compared to white women. AIDS is the third leading cause of death in African-American women aged 35-44 and the third leading cause of death in African-American men, aged 35-44, in 2009.
A 2011 survey by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that the percentage of Americans who said they had seen or read “some” or “a lot” about HIV had fallen from 70 percent in 2004 to just 40 percent in 2011. The percentage of Americans who said AIDS was the nation’s most pressing health problem fell from 21 percent to 7 percent during the same period, according to the survey.
Rogers, who was a semifinalist on the televised singing competition “The Voice,” became infected with HIV after running away from home during a period of heavy drug use. He didn’t learn that he was HIV-positive until he fell ill with related infections.
After his diagnosis, he reconciled with his mother and focused on getting and staying healthy and building his music career. Today he is using his newfound fame to raise awareness of HIV.
Hydeia Broadbent was infected with HIV at birth but was not diagnosed until age 3 and her doctors didn’t think she would live past age 5. She appeared on a Nickelodeon special with Magic Johnson, shortly after the former NBA star announced he was HIV-positive.
But the attention didn’t guarantee acceptance for Broadbent. A boyfriend left her because he was unable to cope with her HIV status. She now works to educate young people about the dangers of the stigma, the risks of HIV infection and the realities of living with the disease.
The campaign will encompass national and local advertising, social media, a Let’s Stop HIV Together website and posters, postcards and brochures that will be distributed by local public health agencies, businesses and community-based organizations.
It is part of CDC’s five-year, national communications campaign to combat complacency about the HIV/AIDS epidemic.
“People with HIV are part of the fabric of our families. They are part of the fabric of our lives,” McCree said. “HIV doesn’t affect just one particular group; it affects every corner of our society.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31