SAN DIEGO (AP) — Quentin Tarantino is redefining race relations in the pre-Civil War South with "Django Unchained," his Western-style saga that he previewed at the Comic-Con fan convention.
Tarantino said Saturday that he has been wanting to do a Western for ages and that the idea for "Django Unchained" first came to him 13 years ago.
"That first initial thing 13 years ago was a slave who becomes a bounty hunter and hunts white men before the Civil War," Tarantino said during a panel alongside much of his cast, including Jamie Foxx in the title role, Kerry Washington, Don Johnson and Christoph Waltz, who won the supporting-actor Academy Award for the filmmaker's World War II reimagining, "Inglourious Basterds."
"Django Unchained" stars Foxx as a man on a mission of vengeance as he tries to rescue his wife (Washington). Waltz plays a dentist-turned-gunslinger who takes Django under his wing as they take on the owner of a plantation (Leonardo DiCaprio) where slaves are trained for bloody sport. Samuel L. Jackson, a standout in Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction," co-stars as DiCaprio's trusted house slave.
Tarantino showed about eight minutes of footage, featuring scenes of Foxx being freed by Waltz from a chain gang and the two partnering up to hunt down nasty Southern overseers.
It promises to be a typically bloody Tarantino action tale, with Foxx and Waltz raining bullets on bad guys. Tarantino imagined that Foxx and Washington's characters were the forebears of a 20th century bad-ass, saying he thought of them as the great-great-great-great grandparents of John Shaft, Richard Roundtree's hip, take-no-prisoners private eye in 1971's "Shaft."
Foxx, an Oscar winner for the Ray Charles biography "Ray," said he drew on his own experiences growing up in Texas, where he had to deal with prejudice and racial epithets. But he had to dig much deeper to get into the head space of Django.
"QT at the beginning of this process, he pulls me to the side, and he said to me, 'I'm worried that you can't get to that slave,'" Foxx said. "What he was saying was, you live your life as Jamie Foxx. You live your life as this celebrity. How do you now strip that away and how do you now get to that slave? He said, 'Throw that out of the door right now. Strip yourself all the way down and start all over again.'"
"Django Unchained" debuts in theaters this December.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25