NEW YORK (AP) — Steven Tyler says he's exiting "American Idol" to put rock 'n' roll first.
Tyler said he's leaving the hit show after two seasons to rededicate himself to Aerosmith, the band he fronts. The rock star said he loved every minute on the hit Fox singing contest but added, "it's time to bring rock back."
"After some long … hard … thoughts … I've decided it's time for me to let go of my mistress 'American Idol' before she boils my rabbit," Tyler said in a statement, making a joking reference to the 1987 Michael Douglas-Glenn Close thriller "Fatal Attraction."
"I strayed from my first love, Aerosmith, and I'm back — but instead of begging on my hands and knees, I got two fists in the air and I'm kicking the door open with my band."
The band is currently on a nationwide tour with Tyler and has an album due out in the fall.
Tyler's "Idol" departure leaves original judge Randy Jackson and Jennifer Lopez, but the singer-actress' future with the show is cloudy.
In a phone interview with The Associated Press as the news about Tyler broke, Lopez said she was saddened to hear that he was leaving.
"I can't even imagine anyone else there right now because I've just spent two years sitting next to him," she said. "I love Steven, and we became close during that time. We were a great support for each other, on an adventure that neither one of us knew what it was going to be. So it's hard to hear that he won't be doing it."
Lopez also said Tyler's departure will play a role in her decision to stay or go. She has already expressed that there is a good likelihood that she will not be back.
"All hope is never lost, not all hope, but at the same time, there are too many things that I need to think about," she said. "I know they want me back, I know that I want to go back, but it's not as simple as that. When I started 'Idol' … I signed on for one year. I didn't even think about doing it for two years, let alone three years. To make the decision to go back a second year was a big deal for me."
The change in the judging panel comes as "Idol" comes off a season of ratings erosion. Its finale, which saw Phillip Phillips crowned as the new "American Idol," drew 21.5 million viewers, the lowest in its 11-season history.
The Fox competition, which started off with Jackson, Simon Cowell and Paula Abdul as judges, has made various judging changes over the years. Ellen DeGeneres joined one season, and songwriter Kara DioGuardi was added as a fourth judge while Cowell and Abdul were still a part of the panel.
The addition of Tyler and Lopez two years ago added fresh star power to a show that, while still a powerhouse, was seeing its audience slowly wane, due to its long tenure and the flood of other talent shows on the TV airwaves.
Tyler added a raucous and sometimes flirtatious personality to the mix, while Lopez was much like Abdul's role as the nurturer and supporter. No one has had the acerbic tone that made Cowell the celebrated villain of the show for years; he's now on his own show, "X-Factor," which recently went through its own judging shakeup and added Demi Lovato and Britney Spears.
"Idol" creator Simon Fuller lauded Tyler's contribution.
"Steven Tyler is a real 'Idol,' a rock legend. If you had told me 10 years ago he would be a judge on 'American Idol,' I would have thought it impossible," Fuller said in a statement. "The fact that this became a reality and we had the pleasure of him gracing our stage for two seasons makes me very proud. I completely understand his desire to get back to his life as the singer in America's greatest-ever rock band. 'American Idol' will miss him!"
AP Television Writer Lynn Elber contributed to this report from Los Angeles.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 30
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 30
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 30
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 30
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 30
6 of 30
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 30
8. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
8 of 30
9. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
9 of 30
10. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
10 of 30
11. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
11 of 30
12. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
12 of 30
13. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
13 of 30
14. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
14 of 30
15. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
15 of 30
16. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
16 of 30
17. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
17 of 30
18. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
18 of 30
19. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
19 of 30
20. Bae #retailtherapy
20 of 30
21. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
21 of 30
22. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
22 of 30
23. Diggy Simmons
23 of 30
24. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
24 of 30
25. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
25 of 30
26. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
26 of 30
27. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
27 of 30
28. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
28 of 30
29. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
29 of 30
30. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
30 of 30