Vice President Joe Biden Thursday gave a raucous rebuke of likely Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney’s NAACP speech, defending the health care law and warning that a Romney White House would be a threat to civil rights and voting rights.
Biden reeled off President Barack Obama’s first-term accomplishments, from killing Osama bin Laden to approving and equal pay provision for women to the health care law, as attendees of the Houston convention roared in approval.
“He passed the Affordable Care Act, a goal strived for by presidents since Teddy Roosevelt,” Biden said. “It required him early on to use up almost all of his political capital. He prevailed where no president had done before.”
Romney told the NAACP convention Wednesday that if he’s elected president he would repeal Obamacare. His promise triggered long and loud booing from a convention hall full of black people.
“He insulted the NAACP by talking about Obamacare and charter schools,” said Deborah Raymond, a retired California teacher told reporters. “Biden gave us hope and inspiration to vote for Obama in November. Biden lit it up.”
Biden said Obama has been able to accomplish much despite overwhelming resistance from congressional Republicans.
“Their discipline was amazing,” he said. “They never let up. But neither has my guy, neither has Barack Obama. He hasn’t given up.”
Biden said a Romney presidency would be a return to 1950s-style domestic policy and a Cold War-era foreign policy. He asked conventioneers to envision what the Justice Department and Supreme Court would look like under the former Massachusetts governor.
“Remember what this at its core was all about, why this organization at its core was all about,” he said. “It was about the franchise. It was about the right to vote. Because when you have the right to vote, you have the right to change things.”
Biden noted that most Republicans support photo identification and other voter-access measures that have been passed in more than a dozen GOP-controlled states in time for November’s election.
The NAACP, and other groups, feel the laws are efforts to suppress the votes of blacks, Hispanics and others.
“ …We see a future where those rights are expanded not diminished,” Biden said, “where racial profiling is a thing of the past, where access to the ballot is expanded and unencumbered…They see a different future where voting is made harder, not easier.”
Romney made no mention of the voting law controversy in his speech Wednesday. His campaign said it wasn’t impressed with the vice president’s remarks.
“The Black American community has struggled with high unemployment under President Obama and Vice President Biden’s speech today offered no new ideas or solutions,” Tara Wall, an adviser for Romney’s campaign, said in a statement. “Mitt Romney will enact policies that will lower taxes, encourage small business hiring, reform our education system, and give all Americans an opportunity to pursue their dreams.”
Biden addressed the NAACP after the White House said last week that Obama would be unable to attend the Houston conference. Some convention attendees and black leaders argued that Obama should have gone to the convention.
White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters Wednesday that Obama isn’t taking black voters for granted. Obama delivered regrets and remarks to the convention via video Thursday.
But the affable Biden proved to be more than enough. He talked about his life-long NAACP membership and acknowledged that black voters “brought me to the dance” by helping him get elected to the Senate and the vice presidency.
The only time Biden got jeered Thursday was when he said “Let me close,” a signal that his speech was about to end.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31