Today's Chritmas Wish winner is Lakitha Stephens of Greenville, South Carolina
Dear Tom Joyner:
In September 2011, I found out I was pregnant at the age of 37 with my first baby. I was so excited, but my happiness quickly turned to a life and death struggle when I developed complications early into my pregnancy due to high blood pressure, which caused severe problems for me and my fetus. At nineteen weeks, I was rushed into surgery where an operation was performed to support my cervix to prevent a miscarriage and I was placed on strict bed rest.
My pregnancy remained so high risk that I spent the majority of time in the hospital or home, unable to leave my bed. At twenty-two weeks, I was hospitalized again due to dangerous hypertension and I could only leave if I agreed to daily ultrasounds. Finally, on February 24th, 28 weeks and three days into the pregnancy, an emergency C-Section was done and my miracle little boy, Bryceson, entered the world weighing in at 1 pound and 15 ounces. At first, everything seemed to be going great and the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit doctors felt Bryceson had beat the odds of being a preemie. But when he turned two weeks old, he developed Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC), a medical condition primarily seen in premature infants, where portions of the bowel undergo necrosis (tissue death).
My son is now four months old and has undergone four surgeries to remove parts of his intestines. The good news is that he has gained weight to eight pounds and has taken a couple of bottles of breast milk. His medical team this week will meet to discuss when he can be coming home for the first time since his birth. Recently, I returned to work after being on medical leave during my complicated pregnancy and the birth of my delicate son. My son’s father was laid off from work during this whole ordeal and has been with me throughout, but it has been financially crippling for us and except for getting a crib, we have been unable to get anything for the baby.
It is my "Christmas Wish" to ask for your help so I can make everything perfect for my little angel when he arrives home. I am making this request for the items to complete his nursery, such as a changing table, bedding for his crib and a colorful mobile that will hang over his crib and also things an infant needs, like clothes, blankets, a stroller, car seat, baby wipes and diapers.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31