Today's Chritmas Wish winner is Lakitha Stephens of Greenville, South Carolina
Dear Tom Joyner:
In September 2011, I found out I was pregnant at the age of 37 with my first baby. I was so excited, but my happiness quickly turned to a life and death struggle when I developed complications early into my pregnancy due to high blood pressure, which caused severe problems for me and my fetus. At nineteen weeks, I was rushed into surgery where an operation was performed to support my cervix to prevent a miscarriage and I was placed on strict bed rest.
My pregnancy remained so high risk that I spent the majority of time in the hospital or home, unable to leave my bed. At twenty-two weeks, I was hospitalized again due to dangerous hypertension and I could only leave if I agreed to daily ultrasounds. Finally, on February 24th, 28 weeks and three days into the pregnancy, an emergency C-Section was done and my miracle little boy, Bryceson, entered the world weighing in at 1 pound and 15 ounces. At first, everything seemed to be going great and the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit doctors felt Bryceson had beat the odds of being a preemie. But when he turned two weeks old, he developed Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC), a medical condition primarily seen in premature infants, where portions of the bowel undergo necrosis (tissue death).
My son is now four months old and has undergone four surgeries to remove parts of his intestines. The good news is that he has gained weight to eight pounds and has taken a couple of bottles of breast milk. His medical team this week will meet to discuss when he can be coming home for the first time since his birth. Recently, I returned to work after being on medical leave during my complicated pregnancy and the birth of my delicate son. My son’s father was laid off from work during this whole ordeal and has been with me throughout, but it has been financially crippling for us and except for getting a crib, we have been unable to get anything for the baby.
It is my "Christmas Wish" to ask for your help so I can make everything perfect for my little angel when he arrives home. I am making this request for the items to complete his nursery, such as a changing table, bedding for his crib and a colorful mobile that will hang over his crib and also things an infant needs, like clothes, blankets, a stroller, car seat, baby wipes and diapers.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25