Florida Republican Congressman Allen West may be facing reelection in a newly drawn – albeit Republican-friendly – district, but it hasn’t slowed his use of loaded language to emphasize to voters, old and new, that he is not supportive of President Obama just because they both are black.
At a campaign event in West Palm Beach on Sunday, West told a mostly white audience that he opposed Obama’s policies because, “He does not want you to have the self-esteem of getting up and earning, and having that title of American. He’d rather you be his slave.”
It’s not the first time that West has used inflammatory language to make his point. He has called some of his Democratic colleagues in Congress “communist,” referred to himself as the modern day Harriet Tubman, leading black people away from the Democratic plantation and said when Rep. Bobby Rush (D-Ill.) wore a hoodie on the House floor to call attention to the Trayvon Martin case that Rush represented a security threat to Congress.
While it remains to be seen if this most recent episode will be an effective tactic in securing his reelection, what West clearly chooses to ignore is how his rhetoric inflames those looking for an excuse to hate Obama.
And it’s clear the Republican Party has no intention of reining in West.
"Two things, Allen West is one of the most dynamic new Republican stars in our party. That’s number one," GOP National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus told Wolf Blitzer on CNN when pressed about West’s slave comment in West Palm Beach. "He’s got a bright future. But I’m more embarrassed about is the president that can’t keep a promise, that has an American economy that’s in the ditch that somehow is trying to perpetrate some myth to the American people that he’s not to blame for or has no role in where we are in the American economy."
So the spin is on.
West spews racist, inflammatory rhetoric and it is justified as being hardly worse than the job the president is doing with the economy.
How many more times will West get to tell white voters that Obama wants them to be his “slaves” and get away with a wink and a nod while Republican spokesmen simply say that perhaps West was a little over the top, but no matter because his underlying message was on point?
While some political pundits dismiss West as an entertaining, relatively harmless loose canon, it takes just a simple read of Letters to the Editor on blogs and on the websites of newspapers in south Florida to realize he has more credibility than might seem reasonable.
That’s something that may give Democrats and campaign strategists pause.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31