Chaka Khan is experiencing a well-deserved career resurgence lately and looking good while doing so. She may have blown out 59 candles on her birthday cake this year, but the iconic diva’s recent weight loss has made her the object of adoration again. At the recent BET Awards, she was part of a stellar Whitney Houston tribute, putting the stamp on her signature song “I’m Every Woman” which Houston famously covered in 1993. This weekend, at the 18th annual Essence Music Festival, Khan will be part of another special tribute immediately following the closing night performance from Aretha Franklin.
Khan, Faith Evans, Syleena Johnson, Monifah Carter, Nicci Gilbert and KeKe Wyatt will perform a 60-minute tribute to the fallen stars of R&B to close out the Essence Festival. These ladies, with the exception of Khan, are starring in an upcoming reality show “R&B Divas” on TV One, which premieres on August 20th.
‘R&B Divas’ was created to help instigate balance. We are mothers, wives [and] positive women first,” says Gilbert.” ‘R&B Divas’ will prove beyond a reasonable doubt that we can captivate an audience without hurting them.”
Khan, born Yvette Marie Stevens in Chicago, is the musical godmother to these divas, enjoying a well-deserved new spotlight after a career that has spanned 4 decades. (In fact Khan celebrates her 40th year in the business next year.) Without her contributions to music, none of the abovementioned divas might have a career today. While Aretha and Gladys mined the R&B landscape with their extraordinary vocal gifts, Khan ushered in a new category, becoming the First Lady of Funk in both her career with the band Rufus and in her subsequent solo career. Her music combined elements of gospel, jazz, R&B and funk and over her career she’s won 10 Grammys and recorded songs written by both Prince and Stevie Wonder.
Khan will be honored for her activism at the McDonald’s 365 Black Awards held this Thursday at the Mahalia Jackson Theater in New Orleans. The 9th annual event honors African-American leaders in entertainment, business, activism and more. T.D. Jakes, Tamia and Grant Hill, a teenage inventor and a youth empowerment activist will all be award recipients this year. Fred Hammond and Mary Mary are among the performers and CNN and TJMS correspondent Roland Martin will do red carpet commentary.
“This year’s 365Black Award honorees showcase an incredible range of talent, intellect and leadership,” said Rob Jackson, U.S. marketing director, McDonald’s USA. “From a high school student blazing new paths in medical technology to a legendary spiritual leader who motivates millions of people every day, McDonald’s is proud to honor and recognize all 2012 recipients for their extraordinary contributions that positively impact communities across America and the world, 365 days a year.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31