Chaka Khan is experiencing a well-deserved career resurgence lately and looking good while doing so. She may have blown out 59 candles on her birthday cake this year, but the iconic diva’s recent weight loss has made her the object of adoration again. At the recent BET Awards, she was part of a stellar Whitney Houston tribute, putting the stamp on her signature song “I’m Every Woman” which Houston famously covered in 1993. This weekend, at the 18th annual Essence Music Festival, Khan will be part of another special tribute immediately following the closing night performance from Aretha Franklin.
Khan, Faith Evans, Syleena Johnson, Monifah Carter, Nicci Gilbert and KeKe Wyatt will perform a 60-minute tribute to the fallen stars of R&B to close out the Essence Festival. These ladies, with the exception of Khan, are starring in an upcoming reality show “R&B Divas” on TV One, which premieres on August 20th.
‘R&B Divas’ was created to help instigate balance. We are mothers, wives [and] positive women first,” says Gilbert.” ‘R&B Divas’ will prove beyond a reasonable doubt that we can captivate an audience without hurting them.”
Khan, born Yvette Marie Stevens in Chicago, is the musical godmother to these divas, enjoying a well-deserved new spotlight after a career that has spanned 4 decades. (In fact Khan celebrates her 40th year in the business next year.) Without her contributions to music, none of the abovementioned divas might have a career today. While Aretha and Gladys mined the R&B landscape with their extraordinary vocal gifts, Khan ushered in a new category, becoming the First Lady of Funk in both her career with the band Rufus and in her subsequent solo career. Her music combined elements of gospel, jazz, R&B and funk and over her career she’s won 10 Grammys and recorded songs written by both Prince and Stevie Wonder.
Khan will be honored for her activism at the McDonald’s 365 Black Awards held this Thursday at the Mahalia Jackson Theater in New Orleans. The 9th annual event honors African-American leaders in entertainment, business, activism and more. T.D. Jakes, Tamia and Grant Hill, a teenage inventor and a youth empowerment activist will all be award recipients this year. Fred Hammond and Mary Mary are among the performers and CNN and TJMS correspondent Roland Martin will do red carpet commentary.
“This year’s 365Black Award honorees showcase an incredible range of talent, intellect and leadership,” said Rob Jackson, U.S. marketing director, McDonald’s USA. “From a high school student blazing new paths in medical technology to a legendary spiritual leader who motivates millions of people every day, McDonald’s is proud to honor and recognize all 2012 recipients for their extraordinary contributions that positively impact communities across America and the world, 365 days a year.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25