He may not be the first person you think of, but J. Anthony Brown is doing his part to make the world a better place for hot sauce lovers.
The Tom Joyner Morning Show co-host is set to officially launch his line of gourmet hot sauces at this year’s Essence Music Festival, which takes place from July 5 – 8 in New Orleans. Taking a page out of the book of Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury, Brown has assembled a pair of superheroes to help promote his “Hotter Than a MoFo,” cayenne, peach ‘n pepper, garlic and habanero flavor hot sauces.
“I have two superheroes that I use,” the comedian shared with EUR’s Lee Bailey. “Kinda like people for the hot sauce, the “Hotter Than a MoFo” man and a “Hotter Than a MoFo” lady dress in superhero outfits and pass the flyers and directing people to the tents.”
The launch of Brown’s gourmet hot sauces is the end result of a venture the funnyman says started “eight or nine” years ago. According to Brown, the business came about as nothing more than a gimmick that grew legs while giving the hot sauce out at comedy clubs where he performed.
“When I started it, I found out that there was a hot sauce company that would put your picture on the (hot sauce) packaging. And I would send it to the club. Like, say I played a club, so I would send a case of hot sauce,” Brown revealed. “It was very inexpensive, just my way of saying thanks, you know, maybe less than $2. I could send everybody a bottle of hot sauce. And I would send it to the club that I played.
“It kinda got to the point where people started asking for it. ‘Where is my hot sauce? Can I get some more of the hot sauce? So that’s how I got in to it,’ continued the entertainer, who added that “Hotter Than a MoFo” is his hottest hot sauce. “I came up with two different, a couple of ideas. Like I wanted a really, really really hot sauce, which is hotter than a MoFo. And the peach and pepper is an idea that I had that I came up with. What would these flavors be like?”
With the official debut of the hot sauces at the Essence festival, Brown is looking to build upon the buzz of his newest venture. Festival goers can sample the products inside and outside the convention center where the event will take place. In addition, the actor/comedian, who has participated in four or five hot sauce conventions, already has Bi-Lo stores in the New Jersey area on board selling the products.
“It’s just a way to let a lot of people at one time know about my hot sauce and make myself visible and sell the product,” Brown stated of his Essence Festival appearances.
“I turned to hot sauce just as a gimmick, something to give to people. And then I started getting a lot of calls, people wanting more. So I thought ‘This would be a great little venture to go into.’ And it’s been pretty good.”
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading J. Anthony Brown Taking His ‘Hotter Than a Mofo’ Hot Sauce to Essence Festival