"Magic Mike” may come with the usual stripper movie requirements, but according to one of the movie’s stars, there’s something for guys who aren’t drawn to seeing male interpretive dancing on the big screen.
“I think there might have been a concern for men who are having to see the film that really the movie was so driven toward the female audience that there would be nothing in it for them to sort of latch on to. And of course, I knew that that wasn’t what I wanted to do, said Channing Tatum during a recent press conference for “Magic Mike.” “That in point and fact, some of the issues that the male characters are going through are issues that all men confront about what they want…you know men tend to define themselves by what they do and so if you’re dealing with a character who’s trying to figure that out or multiple characters then there’s something there for guys too.”
Inspired by Tatum’s brief stint as a real life male stripper, “Magic Mike” features the actor as well as Matthew McConaughey, Alex Pettyfer, Joe Mangianello Cody Horn, Olivia, Matt Bomer, Riley Keough, Kevin Nash, Adam Rodriguez and Gabriel Iglesias.
Although movie watchers will see more than their share of male stripping, the film’s director, Steven Soderbergh opted to highlight a less than glamorous side with”Magic Mike”’s characters dealing with the current issues.
“I wanted to make sure that there were a lot of conversations in the movie about money and work because I feel like, for most people, these are issues that dominate their lives, especially lately. And so we were always looking for ways to sort of bring that conversation in to the film,” he explained.
For Tatum, the issue hits home as he saw a darker side of the strip game that wasn’t filled with what most people associate with his former profession.
“I don’t think we even scratched the surface of really how dark that place can get and how slippery of a slope it can actually be, said the entertainer, who confessed to his male stripping gig being one of three jobs he held before breaking through as an actor.”
Despite allusions to the seamy side, Soderbergh stated that his focus was toward a less heavy look at male stripping.
“I think we were trying to find this balance. As Channing was saying, there’s a very dark version of that movie to be made, but at the end of the day, we wanted it to be fun,” he stated. “Whether it was in costumes or the routines or just the way people were interacting with each other we wanted to find this line where you were smiling as opposed to being disgusted. We were constantly searching that.”
As for the cast’s commitment to “Magic Mike,” McConaughey and Tatum reinforced that all parties were fully committed to doing what was necessary to make the film a success. With camaraderie built over getting the film’s dance routines right, Tatum revealed that “a very weird, strange team” was formed by the male stars.
“I just respect these guys for jumping into the thong with both feet and out onto the stage because I’ve done it before and it was still nerve wracking for me and I can’t imagine what these guys had to go through,” he said. “I wish we had time in the movie to show everybody’s dance because everyone worked so hard on them. It’s a humbling thing to get up there and just…when you are left with very little left to the imagination in front of almost 300 people. It’s very, very nerve-wracking.
“It was also an exercise in complete commitment. I remember Steven said to us early on ‘Jump off the cliff and I’ll catch you. He’s the kind of director that people need when he says something like that to you,” added McConaughey. “We were all completely terrified, but it’s not the kind of movie that you can only commit 75 percent to. You have to go all the way.”
“Magic Mike” is set for release today.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30