"Magic Mike” may come with the usual stripper movie requirements, but according to one of the movie’s stars, there’s something for guys who aren’t drawn to seeing male interpretive dancing on the big screen.
“I think there might have been a concern for men who are having to see the film that really the movie was so driven toward the female audience that there would be nothing in it for them to sort of latch on to. And of course, I knew that that wasn’t what I wanted to do, said Channing Tatum during a recent press conference for “Magic Mike.” “That in point and fact, some of the issues that the male characters are going through are issues that all men confront about what they want…you know men tend to define themselves by what they do and so if you’re dealing with a character who’s trying to figure that out or multiple characters then there’s something there for guys too.”
Inspired by Tatum’s brief stint as a real life male stripper, “Magic Mike” features the actor as well as Matthew McConaughey, Alex Pettyfer, Joe Mangianello Cody Horn, Olivia, Matt Bomer, Riley Keough, Kevin Nash, Adam Rodriguez and Gabriel Iglesias.
Although movie watchers will see more than their share of male stripping, the film’s director, Steven Soderbergh opted to highlight a less than glamorous side with”Magic Mike”’s characters dealing with the current issues.
“I wanted to make sure that there were a lot of conversations in the movie about money and work because I feel like, for most people, these are issues that dominate their lives, especially lately. And so we were always looking for ways to sort of bring that conversation in to the film,” he explained.
For Tatum, the issue hits home as he saw a darker side of the strip game that wasn’t filled with what most people associate with his former profession.
“I don’t think we even scratched the surface of really how dark that place can get and how slippery of a slope it can actually be, said the entertainer, who confessed to his male stripping gig being one of three jobs he held before breaking through as an actor.”
Despite allusions to the seamy side, Soderbergh stated that his focus was toward a less heavy look at male stripping.
“I think we were trying to find this balance. As Channing was saying, there’s a very dark version of that movie to be made, but at the end of the day, we wanted it to be fun,” he stated. “Whether it was in costumes or the routines or just the way people were interacting with each other we wanted to find this line where you were smiling as opposed to being disgusted. We were constantly searching that.”
As for the cast’s commitment to “Magic Mike,” McConaughey and Tatum reinforced that all parties were fully committed to doing what was necessary to make the film a success. With camaraderie built over getting the film’s dance routines right, Tatum revealed that “a very weird, strange team” was formed by the male stars.
“I just respect these guys for jumping into the thong with both feet and out onto the stage because I’ve done it before and it was still nerve wracking for me and I can’t imagine what these guys had to go through,” he said. “I wish we had time in the movie to show everybody’s dance because everyone worked so hard on them. It’s a humbling thing to get up there and just…when you are left with very little left to the imagination in front of almost 300 people. It’s very, very nerve-wracking.
“It was also an exercise in complete commitment. I remember Steven said to us early on ‘Jump off the cliff and I’ll catch you. He’s the kind of director that people need when he says something like that to you,” added McConaughey. “We were all completely terrified, but it’s not the kind of movie that you can only commit 75 percent to. You have to go all the way.”
“Magic Mike” is set for release today.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31