CNN’s second quarter ratings dropped tremendously this year, making it the network’s lowest since 1991.
Viewership on all three news networks- MSNBC, CNN, and Fox News, were dramatically lower this year between March 26 and June 22 when compared to last year’s ratings.
During primetime hours CNN attracted approximately 446,000 viewers with 129,000 viewers categorized in the 25-54 age range. This is down 35-percent and 41-percent respectively when compared to the second quarter of 2011.
This year, Fox News averaged 1.79 million primetime viewers which is down 1% from last year’s reports. However, Fox has lost 14% of viewers within the 25-54 demographic.
MSNBC experienced a 13% dip in ratings with an average of 689,000 total viewers. The network’s 25-54 audience dropped 17%.
This Monday’s reports showed no progress in rakings for CNN. Fox News averaged 1.96 million primetime viewers, MSNBC averaged 997,000, and CNN finished last with 362,000 viewers.
Despite the low numbers, CNN maintains its reputation as a veteran network with strong international ratings.
CNN’s most popular programs like Anderson Cooper 360 at 8p.m. and Piers Morgan at 9p.m. did not experience a large drop in ratings. However, their time slots did show a decline when compared to last year’s numbers.
CNN recently cancelled the 6p.m. John King show and has plans to extend Wolf Blitzer’s “Situation Room” for another hour. CNN’s sister station, Headline News (HLN) occasionally shows a spring in ratings overarching its predecessor. Recently, Nancy Grace brought in more viewers than Cooper and Dr. Drew brought in higher ratings than Morgan.
In light of the approaching Republican primaries and the buzz surrounding the general election, networks are on edge regarding the decline in news viewership.
Regardless of the drop in ratings, Fox continues to hold the top slots for political content with the O’Reilly Factor coming in at No. 1 and the Sean Hannity Show at No. 2.
MSNBC is staying optimistic about their second place in the market of network news.
Current TV, an alternative news network is also fighting for a presence among the network heavyweights.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31