CNN’s second quarter ratings dropped tremendously this year, making it the network’s lowest since 1991.
Viewership on all three news networks- MSNBC, CNN, and Fox News, were dramatically lower this year between March 26 and June 22 when compared to last year’s ratings.
During primetime hours CNN attracted approximately 446,000 viewers with 129,000 viewers categorized in the 25-54 age range. This is down 35-percent and 41-percent respectively when compared to the second quarter of 2011.
This year, Fox News averaged 1.79 million primetime viewers which is down 1% from last year’s reports. However, Fox has lost 14% of viewers within the 25-54 demographic.
MSNBC experienced a 13% dip in ratings with an average of 689,000 total viewers. The network’s 25-54 audience dropped 17%.
This Monday’s reports showed no progress in rakings for CNN. Fox News averaged 1.96 million primetime viewers, MSNBC averaged 997,000, and CNN finished last with 362,000 viewers.
Despite the low numbers, CNN maintains its reputation as a veteran network with strong international ratings.
CNN’s most popular programs like Anderson Cooper 360 at 8p.m. and Piers Morgan at 9p.m. did not experience a large drop in ratings. However, their time slots did show a decline when compared to last year’s numbers.
CNN recently cancelled the 6p.m. John King show and has plans to extend Wolf Blitzer’s “Situation Room” for another hour. CNN’s sister station, Headline News (HLN) occasionally shows a spring in ratings overarching its predecessor. Recently, Nancy Grace brought in more viewers than Cooper and Dr. Drew brought in higher ratings than Morgan.
In light of the approaching Republican primaries and the buzz surrounding the general election, networks are on edge regarding the decline in news viewership.
Regardless of the drop in ratings, Fox continues to hold the top slots for political content with the O’Reilly Factor coming in at No. 1 and the Sean Hannity Show at No. 2.
MSNBC is staying optimistic about their second place in the market of network news.
Current TV, an alternative news network is also fighting for a presence among the network heavyweights.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25