Charlie Sheen sat down with Good Morning America to reflect on his career hiatus and to discuss his upcoming projects.
Sheen, who was once the highest paid actor in Hollywood, spent the last year in rehab stemming from drug abuse and erratic behavior. Last year the actor bombarded headlines with his controversial actions including interviews where he claimed to possess “tiger’s blood and Adonis DNA.” He also coined his extreme career implosion as “winning.”
While his behavior was assumed to be related to his drug abuse, the actor claimed that he was high on “Charlie Sheen.” During his tirade, Sheen was fired from CBS’s hit show Two and a Half Men and was involved in several disputes with the show’s creator, Chuck Lorre.
Now, Sheen is gearing up for the premiere of FX’s Anger Management where he plays a role he is all too familiar with: an anger management therapist. The actor was recently cast to play the president in Robert Rodriguez’s Machete sequel.
Sheen admitted that he is no longer on drugs but he is finding it difficult to give up alcohol.
“We live in a country where it’s always Miller Time so what are you going to do? It’s happy hour somewhere in the world,” Sheen said.
Sheen’s stint in rehab last year wasn’t his first. The actor has had several run-ins with the law related to drug abuse and domestic violence.
“I don’t believe in rehab anymore,” Sheen said. “It’s not for me. It’s not for everyone. It’s not a one-size-fits-all and it didn’t fit me.”
Sheen did admit that he let his out of control behavior go too far.
“The key for me would have been the advice I got when I was in anger management myself for a year and that is you can always leave the room,” the actor explained.
Sheen said he looks back on his actions as a chance to grow and is looking forward to newer roles including one in the Roman Coppola film, A Glimpse Into the Mind of Charles Swan III. A role where he can once again, tap into characterizations in his own personality.
“It is odd to look at some of the clips and some of the stuff and think, ‘Wow that was me, that was me. Wow,’” he said. “It’s a crazy character study on some level that will hopefully be valuable in the future.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25