KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Two little girls in a Kansas City apartment complex had perfectly braided hair, neighbors said Sunday, and were clean, happy and, if anything, "spoiled."
But the girls, ages 2 and 8, had a secret: a 10-year-old sister who weighed just 32 pounds when she was freed Friday from a locked closet that reeked of urine.
"We are all still shocked," neighbor Aishah Coppage, 28, said Sunday. "We never knew there was a third child."
Officers freed the girl, who will turn 11 later this summer, after responding Friday morning to a call from a child abuse hotline. The neighbors — including one of Coppage's daughters and a niece — watched as the girl was carried to an ambulance wearing a dingy white, toddler-sized shirt and no shoes.
"She was real skinny," said 14-year-old Kelisha Parrish, Coppage's niece.
The mother, who lives in public housing, faces charges of assault and child abuse and endangerment in Jackson County Circuit Court. The Associated Press is not naming the mother to protect the child's identity.
Mike Mansur, a spokesman for the Jackson County prosecutor's office, said he didn't know if the 29-year-old woman had an attorney. Janet Baker, the woman's attorney in a previous case, didn't immediately return a call Sunday seeking comment.
The woman's boyfriend has been questioned but is not charged. He is not the father of the 10-year-old, but is the father of the two younger children, who are in protective custody.
"You could never assume anything was going on from the way they looked," said Coppage, who has lived next door to the family for three years. "They seemed spoiled to me because I never saw them get disciplined. It seemed like they didn't want for nothing."
The closet where authorities believe the 10-year-old spent much of her time backed up to Coppage's stairwell. Coppage said she never heard any banging on the walls or cries for help, but added that music was always coming from the neighboring apartment.
"They had birthday parties for the other two girls," she said. "Everything that a normal person does, they did."
Coppage said the woman never mentioned the older girl, and that the woman never let her younger daughters outside unless she was supervising them.
Coppage said her own children sometimes played with the neighbor girls on the wooden deck, but never went inside their apartment. Coppage also said the only people she saw going inside her neighbor's apartment were the woman's siblings and boyfriend.
The woman made some money braiding hair, but always did it on the steps outside her apartment, Coppage said.
She said that when the woman's utilities periodically were shut off, the woman would take the two younger girls and stay with a downstairs neighbor or her sister.
"So the whole time, the baby had to be in here," she said.
According to the probable cause statement, the mother told police that she didn't let the oldest girl leave the house because she knew she is malnourished and would "get in trouble if someone saw her."
Mansur, the prosecutor's spokesman, said the mother hasn't said why she singled the girl out.
The girl, who was taken to Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, told detectives she gets in trouble "because she keeps peeing on herself."
Authorities have not released the girl's name, and the hospital declined to provide an update on the girl's condition Sunday without her name.
Because of what has happened, Coppage is thinking about asking to be moved to a different unit, adding that her 12-year-old daughter is having a tough time.
"She don't even like to be here," Coppage said. "She is scared."
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30