A lot of people know that Ben Bernanke is the Chairman of the Federal Reserve, but what does that mean? What is his job and why is it so important?
Here’s the sneaky truth—probably not all that many people really understand his job, and maybe we’re all afraid to admit it. But we shouldn’t be. It’s a complex if important job. Bernanke as Chairman leads the Federal Reserve, but what is the Federal Reserve? The technical answer is it is the central bank of the United States—or put more simply, it’s the government’s bank. Think of it this way: you, I, and many others each have a bank. The bank is where we put our money, the bank helps us manage our money with savings and checking accounts, and we can borrow money from our bank. Well, the Federal Reserve essentially performs these functions for the government. There is also one big thing a central bank like the Fed does. It manages a country’s currency—the Federal Reserve decides how much money is out there and sets the government’s short-term interest rates.
Why does he always talk about inflation and unemployment and all of those things? How does that fit into his job?
Think of it this way, your banker knows a lot about your financial health and can tell you at any time. So for a country, think of inflation and employment as key measurements of financial health. Low inflation—that is, stable prices—and low unemployment are good. High inflation—or skyrocketing prices—and high unemployment are bad. Just like your banker would prefer your financial health to be good, the Fed wants the United States to be strong financially. Those two things I’ve mentioned, inflation and employment, are in fact the Fed’s two key mandates. All of the complex things that the Fed does—they have crazy names like QE2 and Operation Twist—are ways to achieve those goals.
How is the Fed going to help the average American?
Perfect. Big picture: a healthy U.S. economy is what everyone wants. We all know that the economy is not growing as fast as we would like, which is keeping unemployment high. So the main tool the Fed is using right now is interest rates: the Fed is keeping them extremely low. Technically they control only government rates, but all rates really depend on those. So low rates make it cheaper to borrow money—to buy a car, to buy a house, to start a business, whatever. Low rates should spur growth. Growth creates jobs—which obviously lowers unemployment. So if you don’t happen to have a job, growth will help you get one. If you already have a job, growth will help your paycheck increase. So if Bernanke is reading the economic signs correctly, and he implements the right policies, we should see growth and falling unemployment. Personally, I happen to think he’s doing really well with a tough job.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31