Last week, Congress only approved a ban to remove 2 of 17 bath salts that are being used as a recreational street drug.
Federal law enforcement officials are outraged by the political process blocking a ban to remove all “bath salt” chemicals off of the streets.
"Bath salts are the worst of the worst of the synthetic drugs," said a law enforcement source. "It makes no sense why they aren't all included in the bill."
The Drug Enforcement Administration submitted a list of 41 synthetic drugs for Congress to place on their “Schedule I” list of controlled substances. This list typically includes heroin, cocaine, and methamphetamine.
The House of Representatives recently passed a bill addressing all 17 variants of bath salts to the government’s list. The Senate amended the bill by only adding two of the bath salt elements, MDPV and mephedrone.
During conference talks, the House and Senate agreed to criminalize 26 synthetic drugs including those found in marijuana, “K2”, and “Spice.” The governing bodies only named the same two compounds for bath salts mentioned in the Senate bill.
These two drugs were already labeled as illegal when they were initial placed on the government’s “emergency list” last year.
The number of calls to Poison Control Centers related to the abuse of bath salts rose from 303 to 6,000 nationwide between 2010 and 2011.
One of the stimulants on the proposed list was used in a May attack when a suspect high on bath salts allegedly chewed off a homeless man’s face.
Police officials hope that a complete ban of the substance will make it easier to prosecute criminals who make, buy, and sell the chemicals.
"There are no questions about the drug if it's a controlled substance. We just know it's illegal and can get to work. Already, lots of time is wasted just waiting for lab results to come back," said a DEA official.
DEA officials believe that the other 15 substances were overlooked because legislators like Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy, do not view it as an immediate public threat.
"Bath salts were in the House bill. And they're not in this one. You'd have to ask Sen. Leahy why that happened," said a staffer for a House Republican.
Although Leahy was not available to respond, a staffer defended Leahy’s decision.
"Leahy's focus was to get done what the Senate started. The House bill was out there, but not in a formal way," the committee staffer said. "Sen. Leahy has been clear that scheduling controlled substances is not something to be taken lightly."
However, the approved bill did give the DEA authority to declare drugs as illegal by placing them on a two-year “emergency schedule.” Currently, the agency can declare drugs on a one year “emergency schedule.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25