There’s an old saying among tellers of tall tales: Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
It appears that has become the mantra of the Republican Party, as well as its strategy in its efforts to defeat President Obama’s bid for re-election.
Whether it is continuing to question if the president actually was born in the U.S., whether he secretly is Muslim or contending that the president has raised taxes since taking office, it seems that the truth has little bearing for the Obama haters.
In fact, the creators of more blatantly racist ads and memorabilia have emerged early in the campaign, feeling supported, no doubt, by a GOP that turns a blind eye at patently false accusations against the president.
Stickatude.com is doing steady business with a $3 bumper sticker that reads: "Don't Re-Nig in 2012."
The chief federal judge in Montana admitted he had forwarded an email from his official courthouse email address that contained a joke comparing black Americans to dogs and implied Obama’s mother had sex with animals.
Judge Richard Cebull said he sent the email not because he was racist, but because he just didn’t like Obama’s policies.
And Mitt Romney hasn’t exactly been a choirboy either.
“The thing that Romney does that (George W.) Bush didn’t do is that Romney continually lies,” said David Bositis, a senior research associate at the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, a black think-tank based in Washington, D.C.
While Bush sometimes played loose with the facts or dodged issues, “outside of WMDs (weapons of mass destruction), Bush didn’t outright lie, but Mitt Romney comes out and says outrageous things,” Bositis told BlackAmericaWeb.com.
“Romney has said that Obama has raised taxes, when without question Obama has cut taxes. He said Obama has apologized for America, which he’s never done. A whole lot of things on health care he has said which aren’t true.
“…They’re basically going to keep doing things to attack Obama until they find a tactic they think will work,” Bositis said. “They don’t care if it’s true; they don’t care if it is racist or disrespectful. That’s irrelevant.”
Arsalan Iftikhar, author of “Islamic Pacifism: Global Muslims in the Post-Osama Era,” and founder of the blog TheMuslimGuy.com, said he sees an especially nasty campaign ahead as President Obama’s opponents try to take him down.
During the 2008 campaign, Iftikhar said right-wing conservatives were reluctant to say outright they believed Obama shouldn’t be president simply because he was black, so they tried to create an image of the candidate as an outsider, an “other” who didn’t fit with traditional American values.
In other words, Muslim became the new euphemism for the N-word and, Iftikhar told BlackAmericaWeb.com, it likely will be used again in 2012.
“Since many primary candidates within the Republican field were pandering to anti-Muslim sentiment during their campaigns, I do see these whisper campaigns of President Obama being crypto-Muslim manchurian candidate being resurrected during the 2012 presidential elections,” Iftikhar said.
“I think many right-wingers out there have tried to 'other-ize' President Obama whether by the Muslim or birther smears. I think some people will try to capitalize on this phenomenon moving forward. “
Iftikhar said the strategy “may not be the critical factor, but I do believe that certain Republican surrogates will use this other-ization to try and garner a few cheap political points."
But is any of this likely to stop Obama from being re-elected?
It’s unlikely to kill Obama’s likability rating, which remains significantly higher among all Americans than for Romney. It will be something far more concrete that poses the most significant challenge to Obama.
“What I have been telling people all along is that the metric that matters to me…is the number of new jobs created,” Bositis said.
“If the number of new jobs created is about 150,000-175,000 (per month) for the months until the election, he’s going to win. However, if it’s less than that the circumstances definitely will be tougher.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30