She is perhaps the most famous runner-up in music history. Her life story reads like a Hollywood movie – full of unexpected triumph and unparalleled tragedy. Yet the story of Jennifer Hudson is ultimately one of triumph over adversity. Jennifer Kate Hudson was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois. Born into a church family, she soon found that she was possessed with a gift from God – that of a stupendous vocal talent. She was already signed to a local label when she auditioned for “American Idol” but was let out of her contract to go on the show in 2004.
While Hudson would ultimately be eliminated and the ultimate winner, Fantasia would go on to a recording and acting career, at first Hudson languished, returning to the Disney cruises where she’d been singing when she auditioned. In late 2005, Hudson prevailed in the search for a singer/actress to play the Effie White role in the movie version of the hit stage play “Dreamgirls.” In a Hollywood-like turnaround the previously marginalized singer was not only the breakout star of the film she scored a record deal as well. She would eventually win an Oscar for her debut film and score a Grammy for her self-titled debut album.
Sadly, just as Hudson was enjoying these achievements, a triple murder rocked her family. In 2008, her mother, brother and nephew were shot and killed. Her sister’s estranged husband, William Balfour, was accused of and eventually convicted of the murders. Hudson took a break from performing but made a triumphant return to the Grammy stage the next year singing the song “You Pulled Me Through.”
Hudson has continued her successful ways, losing over 60 pounds using Weight Watchers and becoming their spokesperson, as well as having her firstborn son, David Daniel Otunga, Jr. with fiancée David Otunga, a Harvard law graduate turned reality TV star and professional wrestler. Hudson’s second CD “I Remember Me” was released to critical acclaim in 2011.
After her humiliating exit on “American Idol” Hudson rebounded to become one of it’s most successful alumni ever. Her gorgeous, soaring vocals have made her one of the music industry’s most significant talents and she’s retained a toehold in acting as well. Hudson’s future is as bright as her voice and indeed, when it comes to a talent like hers, there’s no telling what will come next. She is among the best of this generation and her accomplishments thus far are just a taste of what she can do. We look forward to more from this homegrown talent who didn’t give up when things looked bleak.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31