She is perhaps the most famous runner-up in music history. Her life story reads like a Hollywood movie – full of unexpected triumph and unparalleled tragedy. Yet the story of Jennifer Hudson is ultimately one of triumph over adversity. Jennifer Kate Hudson was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois. Born into a church family, she soon found that she was possessed with a gift from God – that of a stupendous vocal talent. She was already signed to a local label when she auditioned for “American Idol” but was let out of her contract to go on the show in 2004.
While Hudson would ultimately be eliminated and the ultimate winner, Fantasia would go on to a recording and acting career, at first Hudson languished, returning to the Disney cruises where she’d been singing when she auditioned. In late 2005, Hudson prevailed in the search for a singer/actress to play the Effie White role in the movie version of the hit stage play “Dreamgirls.” In a Hollywood-like turnaround the previously marginalized singer was not only the breakout star of the film she scored a record deal as well. She would eventually win an Oscar for her debut film and score a Grammy for her self-titled debut album.
Sadly, just as Hudson was enjoying these achievements, a triple murder rocked her family. In 2008, her mother, brother and nephew were shot and killed. Her sister’s estranged husband, William Balfour, was accused of and eventually convicted of the murders. Hudson took a break from performing but made a triumphant return to the Grammy stage the next year singing the song “You Pulled Me Through.”
Hudson has continued her successful ways, losing over 60 pounds using Weight Watchers and becoming their spokesperson, as well as having her firstborn son, David Daniel Otunga, Jr. with fiancée David Otunga, a Harvard law graduate turned reality TV star and professional wrestler. Hudson’s second CD “I Remember Me” was released to critical acclaim in 2011.
After her humiliating exit on “American Idol” Hudson rebounded to become one of it’s most successful alumni ever. Her gorgeous, soaring vocals have made her one of the music industry’s most significant talents and she’s retained a toehold in acting as well. Hudson’s future is as bright as her voice and indeed, when it comes to a talent like hers, there’s no telling what will come next. She is among the best of this generation and her accomplishments thus far are just a taste of what she can do. We look forward to more from this homegrown talent who didn’t give up when things looked bleak.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30