HOUSTON (AP) — Summer is nearly year-round in Southeast Texas so it should be no surprise that the free stuff to see and do in the sprawling metropolitan area of the nation's fourth-biggest city focuses on the outdoors.
But that doesn't mean you have to surrender to the area's infamous heat and humidity, particularly brutal in August, to enjoy attractions that will only cost the time and gasoline to get there.
THE MENIL COLLECTION: Banker John de Menil and his wife Dominique, heiress to the Schlumberger oilfield company fortune, over decades amassed a collection of nearly 16,000 art objects that since 1987 have been on display at the Houston museum that bears their name. The collection features pieces by European and American masters plus ancient and modern works from around the world. The museum's companion Rothko Chapel provides visitors with a tranquil meditative environment that welcomes 60,000 visitors a year.
MILLER THEATRE: The Houston Symphony, Houston Grand Opera and Houston Ballet headline an extensive performing arts lineup that's been using the Miller Theatre stage since the 1920s and now draws nearly a half-million spectators annually to the 7.5-acre site in Hermann Park, just east of the world famous Texas Medical Center. Tickets for the recently-renovated covered seating area are available early in the day for that evening's performance and concert-goers also can bring a blanket and sit on the grass hill immediately behind the seats.
THE WATER WALL: A couple blocks south of the Galleria, Houston's largest shopping experience, and in the shadow of the 902-foot Williams Tower, the city's most visible skyscraper outside downtown, this 64-foot-high semi-circular fountain arguably is Houston most photographed site. Visitors can stand inside the wall that re-circulates 11,000 gallons of water each minute. Besides providing cooling mist, the visual effect is surreal. A night visit inside the lit fountain gives it an entirely different look and experience.
PORT OF HOUSTON BOAT TOUR: Since 1958, the 95-foot-long Motor Vessel Sam Houston has been taking visitors on a 90-minute cruise of the Houston Ship Channel, home to one of the world's busiest ports and among the world's largest petrochemical complexes. The boat holds up to 100 people who can sit in its air-conditioned seating area or stand on the deck to take full advantage of the port's sounds and smells. There's no charge but reservations are required.
GALVESTON: Houston's getaway to the Gulf of Mexico. OK, it's not the glistening white Gulf beaches of the Florida Panhandle but it's only an hour's drive south on Interstate 45. Park on the Galveston Seawall and you're there. And as a bonus, one of the best free trips in all of Texas is just off the east end of the seawall, where the Bolivar Ferry 24 hours a day carries vehicles and passengers the couple of miles back and forth across Galveston Bay. Watch for dolphins and feed the sea gulls.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31