As most of us know, Rodney King was found dead in the pool at his home early Sunday morning. As authorities claim no foul play and a formal autopsy will not be completed for weeks, many are asking what will King’s legacy be.
I believe that King will be remembered as a symbol, in fact the most unusually perfect symbol: the accidental Rosa Parks of the 1990’s. For he was not, like mother Parks, strategically placed in an attempt to expose and highlight the social inequities of a municipality known as Montgomery. No…not Rodney. He in fact was the one the movement would not have picked. He was a troubled young man struggling with addiction and the typical social realities similar to many young black men in urban America. He was the brother that was not profiled, but was speeding and driving erratically; the brother who did not do exactly what the officers told him to do; but even still the citizen who still deserved a police department to follow procedures that both protected them and him.
But in 1991 as hundreds of millions have seen over and over thanks to the quick camera work of George Holiday, members of the LAPD struck him, and struck him again and again and again. Fifty three blows from officers' nightsticks. He was the unusually perfect symbol because despite all he did wrong, he had rights that were violated. The moment officers are able to safely restrain a suspect, no additional force is to be used. For those officers to be acquitted said loud and clear to America that police brutality was acceptable, even when caught on tape. The uprisings in L.A. that followed and the subsequent federal case that sent two of the four officers to jail sent America a stronger messag:. No police misconduct and abuse was not acceptable.
In the 21 years since the beating, there have been two Rodney Kings. The symbol, the one who even following a savage beating was able to be the country’s conscious and ask “Can't we all just get along”? And then the man who was afforded little room to be human, who was critiqued at every turn and was often demonized for his struggle with addiction more than supported to find the place where he could manage it.
I hope that we remember him for being both. I hope we remember the man; as we have so many in our own families struggling with addiction, up again and down again, but truly pushing to be whole. That was what I saw him doing before his death, preparing to be married, trying to put together pieces with a family who he had let down. I hope all of our prayers will be with them at this time. But I will also always remember Rodney the symbol. Because day in and out there are Rodney King’s who don’t have a George Holiday, even when they do have judges and juries that still see race and class before humanity on a video.
Because there are so still too many unusually perfect men and women being beaten and abused by those abusing their power and ignoring their purpose, let's fight for them family by showing up for jury duty versus running from it; voting down ballot for judges and prosecutors who have a true heart for justice. And even as we fight for what is right, always pushing for what Rodney called for when he asked if we could all just get along…Peace. Lord knows we can all use some.
As always, I’m Jeff, and that’s my truth.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30