Congratulations to Angela Brown, today's "Thursday Morning Mom."
My mom, Angela Rena Brown in St. Louis, Missouri, is amazing. She says she is blessed. She retired in 2010 from her job of 35 years with the Federal government at the Department of the Army. She loved her job of taking care of soldiers and being a Human Resource manager and was involved in all types for programs, projects, and activities. The job went to Kentucky, so she took early retirement to stay local with her family.
My mother takes care of everyone and never complains. She became caregiver to my 4-year-old autistic nephew; guardian to her brother with dementia; and patient transport for her blind sister. She has developed a routine which includes getting up at 6:30 a.m. daily, taking my 5-year-old nephew to school, while waiting for his special needs brother to be pick up by bus. My mother even takes me to work on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday because I share a car with my college student daughter who needs my car on these days to go to school.
My mother says everyone needs to go to work or school, so she makes sure five of her six grandchildren gets to dentist and doctor's appointments. One grandchild lives in Germany, whom she is still involved with. She takes care of her male companion, who is disabled with back problems. She is the family banker, resume writer, organizer, adviser and loan officer; if she has the money, she will help. She will take care of others before herself.
On top of her nurturing ways, she works part time as a library assistant for three nights a week. (She says she has to have something to do.) My mom likes fishing, reading, gardening, going to kids' sports events, dancing, and loves to cook. And above all, she loves to cook. My mother cooks those soul food Sunday dinners you see on t.v. She learned cooking from her mother. I could list some of the menu items, but it would upset you. SHE CAN COOK! Her friends from Germany even come to eat. Almost anyone will show up for a meal on Sundays; just ask her elderly neighbor. She enjoys feeding people and this is just the way she is and will not change. She use to provide holiday meals for her soldier co-workers before she retired and they still call her. She does all this cooking and still managed her diabetes and lost weight to keep from taking medicine.
My mother could use a new stove and refrigerator. She says she can "make do" until she can afford a new one; other things are more important. The refrigerator has a broken handle and leaks water and the stove cooks on two eyes, with no oven light. She would not ask for these things for herself; so I am doing it for her.
If she is selected for the "Thursday Morning Mom," my wish is for her to get new appliances without having to make do. She is deserving of this recognition.
Relonda R. Brown
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30