Congratulations to Angela Brown, today's "Thursday Morning Mom."
My mom, Angela Rena Brown in St. Louis, Missouri, is amazing. She says she is blessed. She retired in 2010 from her job of 35 years with the Federal government at the Department of the Army. She loved her job of taking care of soldiers and being a Human Resource manager and was involved in all types for programs, projects, and activities. The job went to Kentucky, so she took early retirement to stay local with her family.
My mother takes care of everyone and never complains. She became caregiver to my 4-year-old autistic nephew; guardian to her brother with dementia; and patient transport for her blind sister. She has developed a routine which includes getting up at 6:30 a.m. daily, taking my 5-year-old nephew to school, while waiting for his special needs brother to be pick up by bus. My mother even takes me to work on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday because I share a car with my college student daughter who needs my car on these days to go to school.
My mother says everyone needs to go to work or school, so she makes sure five of her six grandchildren gets to dentist and doctor's appointments. One grandchild lives in Germany, whom she is still involved with. She takes care of her male companion, who is disabled with back problems. She is the family banker, resume writer, organizer, adviser and loan officer; if she has the money, she will help. She will take care of others before herself.
On top of her nurturing ways, she works part time as a library assistant for three nights a week. (She says she has to have something to do.) My mom likes fishing, reading, gardening, going to kids' sports events, dancing, and loves to cook. And above all, she loves to cook. My mother cooks those soul food Sunday dinners you see on t.v. She learned cooking from her mother. I could list some of the menu items, but it would upset you. SHE CAN COOK! Her friends from Germany even come to eat. Almost anyone will show up for a meal on Sundays; just ask her elderly neighbor. She enjoys feeding people and this is just the way she is and will not change. She use to provide holiday meals for her soldier co-workers before she retired and they still call her. She does all this cooking and still managed her diabetes and lost weight to keep from taking medicine.
My mother could use a new stove and refrigerator. She says she can "make do" until she can afford a new one; other things are more important. The refrigerator has a broken handle and leaks water and the stove cooks on two eyes, with no oven light. She would not ask for these things for herself; so I am doing it for her.
If she is selected for the "Thursday Morning Mom," my wish is for her to get new appliances without having to make do. She is deserving of this recognition.
Relonda R. Brown
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31