When my maternal grandfather died, a stream of men came to pay their respects to my grandmother and mother. The men cried as if they had lost their own father, and in a way they had.
My grandfather was a barber: keeper of secrets, dispenser of advice and a great listener to creative storytellers.
He also engendered trust. Men would come and sit in his chair, confident that their hair would be just right by the time he handed them a mirror and spun them around to see the back as well as the front. Not only did they come back to Granddaddy regularly, they brought in their sons and often dropped in for conversation, even when they didn’t need a haircut.
For generations, being taken by one’s father for that first haircut and being introduced to the fraternity found at barbershops has been a highly anticipated Right-of-Passage.
“It’s that intimate a relationship. It’s not all about the cut; it’s also about the relationship,” said Kenneth Braswell, director of the National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, which oversees President Obama’s Fatherhood and Mentoring Initiative and has launched Fatherhood Buzz, an eight-city pilot outreach program designed to disseminate information about responsible fatherhood and parenting.
Fatherhood Buzz will kick off Saturday at more than 100 barbershops in eight cities: Albany, N.Y., Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, New York City, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. and after this weekend will expand to Baltimore, Boston and Wilmington, Del., and other cities.
Braswell told BlackAmericaWeb.com barbershops were targeted because they are natural community hubs that bring together men from all walks of life, “from the pastor of the church around the corner to the thug coming to get sharp because he’s gonna hang out all night, all hanging out in the barbershop in harmony.”
Conversations range from last night’s game to employment to relationships to fatherhood.
“When I go to the barber, he asks ‘How’s the wife? How’s the kids? How’s that project?’ It’s someone you know every two weeks you’re going to see. (And) If it’s a hot enough conversation, then the rest of the barbershop gets involved,” Braswell said.
Fatherhood Buzz aims to take what’s already familiar to men one step further.
“There are some key conversations that always come up,” Braswell said. “Child support, not the mechanics…it’s always around the pain of it. When that comes up the program will make sure that barbers are more equipped to provide information that can help (customers) navigate the system, explain what child support is really being used for. The work is about helping men, but ultimately the work is about the healthy environment for children.”
Braswell said the focus of the Buzz will change quarterly. For the program’s launch, the emphasis is on economic stability and parenting, but future topics could be education, substance abuse, domestic violence, child abuse, relationships or marriage.
On Saturday, in addition to discussions about responsible fatherhood, there will be giveaways, networking opportunities and information about local and national resources will be distributed.
Shop owners can sign up for Fatherhood Buzz at www.fatherhoood.gov or by calling 1-877-4DAD411 (1-877-432-3411) for parenting tips, parenting programs and additional resources.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31