Got questions for the doctor about annual cancer screenings? Text them to “646464” (OHOHOH).
A change in health practices and diet, especially avoiding over-processed foods, may play a major role in preventing certain kinds of cancer and many screening tests may cause more harm than good, a surgeon and author contends.
“What’s interesting is that breast, prostate and colon tumors are very similar and are affected positively or negatively by the same actions,” Dr. Christine Horner writes in “Waking The Warrior Goddess: Dr. Christine Horner’s Program to Protect Against and Fight Breast Cancer.”
Horner’s advice is pretty much the same advice most medical professionals urge: eat healthy, organic food, get proper rest, exercise, take supplements and avoid what is bad for you.
Horner, who lost her mother to cancer, pushed through federal and state legislation ensuring that breast reconstruction after a mastectomy would be paid for by insurance companies and is a former Kentucky state spokeswoman for the American Cancer Society.
Her emphasis, though, is on preventing cancer and avoiding what she calls “unnecessary screenings.”
While the U.S. Preventative Services Task Force recommends that women 50 and older have mammograms every other year and the American Cancer Society recommends annual mammograms after age 40, Horner has said the radiation mammogram screening emits makes it counterproductive to preventing breast cancer.
In April, a study in Norway estimated that 15 to 25 percent of breast cancers found by mammograms wouldn’t have caused any problems during a woman’s lifetime, but were being treated anyway. Early tumors, once detected, usually are removed and the patient is treated with chemotherapy or radiation because there’s no way to be certain whether the tumors are dangerous or benign.
“None of these screenings are perfect” Horner has said. “There’s a real problem with over diagnosis, especially in the United States, and in many cases too many people are being put under the knife for no reason.”
The question, however, is whether the outcomes are different for black women who are less likely than white women to get breast cancer, but when they do, they are more likely to die.
According to a study at the University of North Carolina schools of Public Health and Medicine and the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, black women under the age of 50 have a 77 percent higher mortality rate from breast cancer than other women of the same age. Further, younger, pre-menopausal black women are more prone to an especially aggressive type of cancer.
Many black medical experts take exception to the suggestion that black women would benefit from fewer mammograms and many African-American health care professionals continue to recommend that black women above age 40 have annual checkups, including mammograms.
“The biggest drawback of screenings,” Horner has said, “is that they are used to find problems, not prevent problems.
“Breast, prostate and colon cancer all have one thing in common: the cancer tumors are similar, which means that the same actions fuel them and the same lifestyle changes prevent them.”
Click here for answers to your cancer screening questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30